Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened today quite abruptly. After driving for around 3 hours, I stopped for fuel. When I resumed, the tranny flaked out as follows:

The 1-2 upshift has become late and somewhat harsh. The 2-3 upshift is late now and VERY slow... it's slipping severely. The other upshifts are slippy as well, but not as much as the 2-3.

The fluid level was good.

I changed the fluid and filter 2300 miles ago and installed an aux. cooler at that time. The pan and magnet looked nearly impeccable at that time, as did the fluid.

The fluid has good color now, but it smells like charred wood, not at all like tranny fluid. It smelled very fresh only a few days ago.

Now... here are some other symptoms I've observed recently:

The temp gauge, which always sticks close to the "A" of "normal", has been hovering between the "R" and the "M" the past few days. It doesn't seem to be overheating but it is surely running warmer than it has in the several years that I've owned this car. Perhaps subtle slippage was occurring before now, causing the higher temps.

Also, my fuel economy, which has been consistently in the mid 14s mpg, has now dropped to the low 13s (I do mostly city type driving).

I don't know it these two symptoms are related to my tranny troubles, but I'm suspicious.

The ATF doesn't look milky and the level has not changed, so I don't think that coolant is mixing with it (unless it just started).

Opinions?

Regards... Mike

P.S. I checked for DTCs; none were present.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Are you using Mercon or Mercon V? That's what Ford recommends.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Are the other fluids good?
Coolant
Oil
You have the Essex. The head gaskets need to be replaced often.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fdogg96,

Yup, I'm using the correct ATF for the application.

thesavo,

The engine oil is good (recent oil and filter change) and the coolant looks good as well.

I hear you on the head gaskets. I replaced them a couple of years ago when a cylinder on bank 2 was burning coolant.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it was just time for it to go. I installed it used 38k miles ago, and the last 12k have been very severe service (constant stop and go, perhaps a couple hundred such cycles per day, six days per week. That much shifting has got to take a toll. If it was beginning to slip, and I didn't catch on right away, that would explain the stinky fluid and added heat in the cooling system as well as the increase in fuel consumption.

Regards... Mike

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Sounds like the pump let go.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
QUOTE (mwt @ Jul 18 2009, 01:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740336
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 17 2009, 04:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740230
QUOTE (mwt @ Jul 17 2009, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740229

Mike
B)[/b]
Trans cooler pump?
[/b][/quote]

The maint pump. Usually the spline breaks and you aren't pumping fluid. It gets hotter than hell and it's over with.

Mike
:noes:
[/b][/quote]

If it is a bad pump then all the extra heat cooked the brake bands that make the tranny shift. This would account for the smell (and lack of nastiness in the fluid since there's no pump to stir it up), as well as the bad shifting (no friction material on the bands = bad shifting).

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
QUOTE (Angrod @ Jul 18 2009, 03:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740343
QUOTE (mwt @ Jul 18 2009, 01:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740336
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 17 2009, 04:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740230
QUOTE (mwt @ Jul 17 2009, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740229

Mike
B)[/b]
Trans cooler pump?
[/b][/quote]

The maint pump. Usually the spline breaks and you aren't pumping fluid. It gets hotter than hell and it's over with.

Mike
:noes:
[/b][/quote]

If it is a bad pump then all the extra heat cooked the brake bands that make the tranny shift. This would account for the smell (and lack of nastiness in the fluid since there's no pump to stir it up), as well as the bad shifting (no friction material on the bands = bad shifting).
[/b][/quote]
That I never saw coming. So New Tranny Rebuild?
How could this have happened?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
:dunno:

I mean the "main" pump not the "maint" pump. It happened to me the same way.

Mike
:dunno:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ewww... this talk of broken splines, high temps and lost friction material sounds big-time serious to me.

How do the splines break... normal wear and tear over time?

Regards... Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts