Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

I Don't Know..

6K views 57 replies 17 participants last post by  zeptoplix 
#1 ·
I have no idea what happened to my car, but I was driving down the road and I was doing around 70 in 2nd gear and it was almost red lining so I let off the gas. the car died..all power everything goes out..I put it into N and try and start...nothing. So I get on some off road. Friend sees me and stops. When I turn the key I get a few clicks. So I thought, hmmm, battery. Nope. Tried getting jumps from 2 different people 2 different times. I went to talk to some guy and he said he would bet $100 that is was the Syliniod. He said to put screw drivers in 2 different places then touch them to start it. But I don't see how it is that because it is used to start the car...not run it, so why would my car have died? I also noticed quite a bit of oil on the front of my engine. Never noticed it before...looked like a valve cover leak though. My car is like 3 miles until an oil change is due. Can anyone help?

#6 ·
A starter solenoid would not be likely to make the car die on the road.

Do you know if the car is getting any fuel?

#9 ·
When you try to jump the car, do you still get the click, or does the motor crank but not start?

If it's just clicking, then your problem sounds electrical. Probably a good idea to check all battery and alternator connections, including grounds, in any event.

If it it cranks but won't start, then you need to check for spark and to make sure it's getting fuel.

#10 ·
Hmm one question, why were you driving so close to redline? I mean no offence but it does seem pointless to be doing 70mph in second gear. I have two incidences of engines failing while driving. On my SHO i got a clicky sandy kinda sound shut the engine off and it would not start again. One of the valves broke and the engine is toast. My other car was more of a rapid loping kind of sound. The result there was i blew one of my rods out of the oil pan. The front of the car underneath, front and beside the engine was caked in oil
Good luck.

#13 ·
Originally posted by 96Sleeper@Jan 10 2004, 02:11 AM
As for the getting fuel, I am sure it is. Why wouldn't it? I mean, I drove it to school this morning and why would it just stop getting fuel?
The fuel pump said "screw you guys, I'm going home"?

#17 ·
Overheating, Excessive RPM's, And plain BAD LUCK! AND a fix is a engine rebuild.

Try to turn over the engine manuelly WHat motor do you have?

#19 ·
ignition coil i think or something like that. it sends spark if it dont send spark car wont go. simple as that. i dont have to much info though on this... i think ford had a recall on some ignition part that failed while driving do to overheating ( the part overheating not the car). This certanly sound like that could be it. I'll see if i can find some mroe info for you...

G
#20 ·
Is any of the other electrical stuff working? If it is, here's some things you can try.

-As mentioned before, check all your battery cables and ground straps.

-turn the engine manually using a socket on the crank pulley. It should turn fairly freely. If not, it may be seized. Get a new Vuclan for $300 and drop it in.

-What's the condition of the oil? Is there any in there?

-Any check engine light? If so, what are the codes?

#22 ·
Maybe the tranny is stuck in gear? Or maybe the starter decided to drop its gear on the flywheel...that happened to my friends 97 grand prix... I would also check your fuel shut of switch in the trunk....you never know. Dont know why you would have it in second either, just leave overdrive off if u want power on demand on the highway

#24 ·
If I have to get a new motor or a rebuild, I am going to get a new car. It is getting old having to fix the Taurus all the time. I have had it a little over 6 months and I have had to replace the fuel pump, replace the brakes, get new shifting cable, my door, the exhaust shop denting my rear bumper and I didn't fid out about it until I got home..., it has 168,000 miles on it...If I have to get a new motor, I am getting a new car. I will probably sell my wheels so that I can get started in saving for a new car. I would probably only want about 300 plus shipping. I would prbably part it out, or maybe sell it for like $500 for a parts car or something. I don't know. I know this sucks. I think I will get an 1988 Cougar with a 5.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.