Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple years ago i did a tune up on the 92 GL i now owned. i put in bosch platinum plugs back then...and they suck.

i have no idea why i thought they'd be a good choice, maybe they didnt have the autolites in, i dont know but whatever i was thinking i obviously wasnt in my right mind.

the plugs were god awful when i pulled them out. that teeny tiny electrode was worn down...it was like looking at a pin hole in the ceramic. this time i put regular autolites in along with new borg warner wires and a borger warner cap and rotor.

fired it up...and it sputtered and idled goofy and died. ok....WTF? i broke a t in the vacuum lines...so 4 dollars and 23 cents later (for an assortment of vacuum T's at otterzone)....i fire it up again and....whamo! it runs smoother and fires right up. in fact this thing is pulling like a SOB. this feels like a totally different car than it did less than a month ago.

runs like a top now. i think i need to replace the fuel pump though...and i'm still getting a SESlight when i'm driving....not sure why, might be the O2 sensor, not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Yep, alot of people - myself included have had trouble with the Bosch +4's and the like. I tried them and all it did was make the engine run rough. I put MotorCraft Double Platinums back in (OE for my car) and it ran great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i'm definitely going to use a OEM type plugs for now on, no more platinums or +4's or any other fancy BS plug. i use AC Delco's in my GM and i'm going to use autolites or motorcraft's in the taurus from now on.

regular plugs seem to work fine in everything else i put them in.

i'm avoid bosch like the plague now. this isnt the first car i used them in but you can believe its the last car i put them in.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've heard this before on the forum and it really surprises me. My dad has had great luck with Bosch plugs in his European cars. But, I'll definately avoid them when it comes time to put new plugs in the Bull!

J

·
0 Posts
I put in autolite platinums (basically the same as OE motorcraft) and they are great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those bosch platinum 4's are hell. I use the regular bosch platinums and dont have any problem whatsoever. About your SES light.....does it come on as soon as you start your car, or after it warms up a bit? If its the latter, I'd say check your MAF sensor. Had this happen to me once (damn computer controlled cars), but it only came on after the car got warm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it comes on after its warmed up but its intermittenly coming on. sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. there's no pattern involved.

its not effecting performance, everything seems to be running fine. a shop tried to pull the codes before i got the car and they said their machine spit out japanese! (thats what they said i never saw it myself so i dont know) and basically said to ignore the light. they couldnt find anything wrong with the car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by blue92GL@Feb 22 2004, 05:39 PM
it comes on after its warmed up but its intermittenly coming on. sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. there's no pattern involved.

its not effecting performance, everything seems to be running fine. a shop tried to pull the codes before i got the car and they said their machine spit out japanese! (thats what they said i never saw it myself so i dont know) and basically said to ignore the light. they couldnt find anything wrong with the car.
I'll bet it's EGR related. My money says it's the PFE sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm thinking its EGR related but i'm not sure. i know i have problems with the EGR, its new but its loud! i got air blowing out the back of it and i dont think its suppose to do that! that might have something to do with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts