Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaarggh.

I'm pulling the tranny from my parts car, a 99 Duratec. I basically dropped the subframe and the tranny, while supporting the engine from the top. Everything has been going fine, and when I had all the bolts off (including the three on the passenger side) I started trying to separate the tranny from the engine. At first I couldn't separate them at all, but eventually I was able to get the bellhousing probably close to two inches separated from the engine. But then, pry and pull as I might, I cannot separate them further. I'm hoping not to have to remove the bolts (nuts) that connect the flexplate to the TQ because to make a long story short I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to rotate the crank and access the bolts. I will try if I have to, but I'm confused, because shouldn't the torque converter be able to stay attached to the flexplate and separate from the tranny?? As far as I understand, there's nothing attaching the TC to the transmission case, correct? So I'm not sure why I'm having such a difficulty...unless maybe somehow it seized to the splines of the pump shaft over time (or whatever it's called)? I even tried prying on the flex plate to help pull the TC out with it so I could get the tranny.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, or any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated! I'm open to the possibility that I missed a bolt somehow somewhere, but I really don't think so. And plus I doubt I could have separated the tranny two inches if I missed one. Although I guess that might depend where the bolt is.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You're probably just missing one of the bellhousing bolts. I remember there's one that's really hard to see. This sort of thread comes up from time to time where someone thinks they've tried everything, then slap themselves when they find that hidden bolt.

Also, yes you do have to separate the TQ from the flexplate. The TQ comes out with the trans. Iirc It's not bolted in, but its locked onto the input shaft and needs to be rotated off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I guess that's probably it then. I saw a video of a guy pulling the trans and I could have sworn that the tranny just "came off" but I guess not. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
azure
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing