Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a floor shifter very simaliar to gen 3 and 4 floor shifters, I was pulling out of a parking lot and tha damn button popped out, not the O/D button but the "lock" button that allows you to change gears (for example D to 2 or reverse to park ect...)

what do I need to do to fix this, dose the handle need to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
mine did that in my 94 GL...I used electrical tape and a bandana to keep it there...

Other then ghetto rigging it i have no clue how to fix it, but you can buy one for pretty cheap i think...i ended up replacing mine before i sold it..

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't even comprehend how a :banana: would fix a floor shifter button :lol2: but if you say so, I may just leave it the way it is unless it starts falling out all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Sep 4 2004, 05:49 PM
I can't even comprehend how a :banana: would fix a floor shifter button :lol2: but if you say so, I may just leave it the way it is unless it starts falling out all the time.
:lol: :roflmao:

He didn't say banana, he said bandana. Hate to be a post *****, but I had to point that out.

Sorry I can't be of any help, I have an MTX.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would just replace it. The chilton's manual should tell you how to get the handle off (someone that has the manual for a Gen II needs to chime in here). IIRC, it's really easy to get them off on older cars. You can probably pick up a handle at a junkyard for less than 10 bucks. It's better than cruising around all ghetto rigged, and it's much safer, since you don't need to worry about things not clicking in properly and the car being able to pop out of gear.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it isn't easy to find a ATX gen 2 sho in the junkyard but i'll keep my eye out for one. thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My aunt did the same with her Honda. Once when she was backing out of her driveway after my uncle riged it like how he said. The lever was jammed in Reverse. She eventually had to replace the entire handle and some part in her transmission because of it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Sep 5 2004, 07:39 AM
it isn't easy to find a ATX gen 2 sho in the junkyard but i'll keep my eye out for one. thanks.
'93-'95 Floor-Shift Taurus/Sables and '94 Floor-Shift Continentals have the same shifters so keep an eye out for those too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts