Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three questions about this car, first off it’s wonderful but I must ask.

First what is this ‘T/C’ button on the right hand side right behind the steering wheel near the cluster.

Second.. do the lights always stay on? Is there a way to turn them off during daytime?
I drive around and I don’t see anyone with there headlights on accept me.

Third, this ones a bit more complex, how come when the car is set to drive, the driver (me) has to brake harder then normal to get the car to stop. My idle is around 1.2 (rpm) but the car feels like it wants to burn rubber and just go. Is this normal for anyone with this car?

Spece…
2002 SE Ford Taurus
3.0 (vin # U)

·
Registered
307 Posts
the T/C is traction control. and you must have the Day time running lights they are always on. and on my 96 when its in drive and im on the brake it idles around 700. you may have an issue with you idle screw but wait until other respond because i am not 100%

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
1st , welcome to the club!!!
your first ?, t/c is traction control.
second ?, unless you have daytime running lights (drl) they SHOULD go off, look at the head light switch or the dimmer to see if it will switch off,
like a sentry lighting(can't remember what it's called) dang'it.
3rd ?, sorry can't help, but a ? for you ....is your check engine light on??

Rudy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thank you,

It is my first Taurus.
About two years ago I bought a Windstar that had about 100k miles on it. After 2000 miles the thing broke down on me. At the time I was 18, I spent about 1000$ going to junk yards and buying parts to rebuild the engine, with a little help from my dad we got the thing going and I love it accept the amount of gas it drinks.

loll we took the small block of an 89 thunderbird and rebuilt everything possible on the thing. I even dyno's my van and got around 273hp and 292tourq.... but that’s a different story.

I don’t care what people say, I love these cars!!

(My goal is an F150 lightning or supercharge my mini van.!!)

Thank you for all the help guys. I’ll look into my idle problem.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Check your motor mounts if it keeps surging forward. For the high idle, you could have a throttle body that isn't closing properly, or the idle air valve is sticking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
welcome!!!!!

as for the third question is it only when it's cold or just warming up or all the time ???

mine does it when its its cold

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
the Vulcan engine doesn't have an idle screw, it uses the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve to control idle. It is computere controlled. It is the cylindrical unit on the upper-rear of your Throttle Body. It is held onto the TB with two bolts, and has a wiring harness connected to it. Pull it off, and clean it with electrical contact cleaner. You can find the stuff at Menards or Lowes. It sometimes gets clogged. If that doesn't help, backprobe the IAC and find out what kind of voltage is going through it. It may be bad. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
933 Posts
as for your lights, do check the headlight switch, if you have autolamps, turn the setting all the way down until it clicks then see if your lights are on or off. either way, autolamps should turn off during the day automatically. you probably have the actual DRL module installed, which turns on the headlights all the time (I HATE DRLs) on gen III's there is a fuse you can pull if you have the module, that will disable it. or, the module is located in front of the driver's front wheel, you have to pull off the inner fender guard to get to it, you can simply unplug it and it should reutrn to normal functioning. I would bet that your gen IV's DRLs can be disabled in a similar manor.

as for your idle, sounds like your's is staying that way, if its just for a short period of time when the engine is cold that is normal, its designed to heat up the engine and catalyst more quickly, then it should drop to around 700. if its staying up even when the engine is warm, try testing the IAC, rev the engine up to a bit under 4000 rpms and then release the throttle, you should see the rpms gradually come down over a second or two, it shouldn't drop too quickly, if it does, it could indiate that your IAC valve is bad. or either way, you may want to take some intake cleaner and remove the IAC, like someone said, its a little cylinder shaped object with a plug and a couple wires coming out of it, it will be located above the throttle plate in your MAF. the valve allows a small amount of air to bypass the throttle plate, to keep the engine running at idle speed when the thottle is closed completely. if you have no luck with that, maybe take it to have the codes read, some engine codes will not illuminate your SES light.

good luck!

G

·
Do you have any warranty left on the car? If so, just take it to the dealership and make it their problem. But, if you don't have warranty left, I'd check out the IAT as mentioned above. Or, go to the dealership and ask if the car is affected by the EGR Technical Service Bulletin. When mine got screwed up it messed up my idle and after they replaced it, it was OK.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the car! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts