Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was polishing & waxing my baby tonight, and as I came around the back bumper, I noticed that somebody within the past week has cracked my left taillight and water is collecting. You have no idea how unbelievably pissed I was. :angry: :mad: :angryfire: :rant: :curse: :fuming: :censored:
So, do I get an '00-'03 replacement single lens to match stock, or should I go and get a set of '04 lenses with the swept backup lights? Either way, I'm going eBay, and I don't want to do Altezzas, since (to me) don't look good on the True Blue paint job.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. I hate coming outside and seeing something like that.

I think the 04' lights look better, so if they fit, I'd go with them. Talk to Detroit Raver (Sarah) about whether or not the 04' lenses will fit. I think she put 04' altezzas in her 03' or 03' altezzas in her 04', or something like that...
Regardless of whether she has altezzas or not, if the design and layout is exactly the same, you'd be able to fit any tail from those five years in there.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i think that both styles (00-03 and 04) are both badass. altezzas are nice, but man, c'mon, the stocks rule! :)

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 10 2004, 06:13 AM
Sorry to hear that man.  I hate coming outside and seeing something like that.

I think the 04' lights look better, so if they fit, I'd go with them.  Talk to Detroit Raver (Sarah) about whether or not the 04' lenses will fit.  I think she put 04' altezzas in her 03' or 03' altezzas in her 04', or something like that...
Regardless of whether she has altezzas or not, if the design and layout is exactly the same, you'd be able to fit any tail from those five years in there.

JR
Yeah, if Sarah still has her stock '04, she might make you a better deal then you would get on ebay, make sure you tell her your a TCCAer. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
are you guys talking about me behind my back?? ;) ok. i have a 2004. i replaced my 2004 stock tail lights with the altezzas. i got the black ones. they were for a 2000-2003 Taurus, but they fit on my 2004. i sold my 2004 stock taillights to jason8225 and he put them on his car. i think he has a 2001?? sorry jason my mind went blank right now. anyhow, if i was you i'd get the altezzas in either the clear or the gunmetal. i think it would look sweet on your blue car. i personally don't like the gen4 tail lights. its too much red for me. i like the blacked out look. but i think the gunmetal ones would look really good on your car!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I just took a look at the usual sites and for some reason the price of the left assembly is higher at $45 than the right which is about $31 at fordpartsonline.com. Kinda strange there, I think I looked a few months ago and they were both the same price. ($31)

Anyway, I guess it'd still be cheaper to get the 04 lights and sell your old single RH lamp on ebay.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get this: '02 taillights from the Ford Dealer here in Poulsbo are $120 each. '04 Taillights from the same dealer... both for a Taurus Sedan... $40.12

Um, yeah, that's fscked up, so from what I see, it's amazingly cheaper (factor shipping) to go to the dealer and buy TWO '04 taillights instead of buying ONE '02 taillight :-O

And... '02 taillights go for about $80 on eBay, $100 on FordPartsOnline

Let's recap:

1] I buy two 04 taillights for $80+ 8.6% tax (i miss Michigan's 6%)
2] I sell the right tail lamp on eBay for $80 + shipping
3] Net cost: virtually nothing
4] Added bonus: cool looking '04 lenses on an '02, and the only one in True Blue with 'em!

(for the record the Ford dealer was just as amazed at the price diffrence)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The whole reason is because it's different is because it's more cost effective for the dealers to keep newer items in stock, since they'll typically be used more.

I would definitely go with the 04' tails and Night Shade them!

JR

G

·
You can get the 04's cheaper than dealer price at http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com - you will have to slightly modify the 04 lights to make the older harness fit, but you just have to cut two little slots around the holes for the reverse lights - you will see when you go to put them on. It's not hard, and I really like them. :)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I would definitely get the 04' tails, and use some Night Shade on them. Black them out!
NiteShades................The only way to fly!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Aug 10 2004, 03:40 PM
You can get the 04's cheaper than dealer price at http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com - you will have to slightly modify the 04 lights to make the older harness fit, but you just have to cut two little slots around the holes for the reverse lights - you will see when you go to put them on. It's not hard, and I really like them. :)
Fordpartsonline.com seems to be cheaper. They both seem to use the same catalog though. I think they're also probably cheaper to get locally because of the shipping charge for something that big wipes out the savings from mail order. Plus it seems his dealer has the right and left at the same price ($40) while the catalog has the list price of the right at $40 and the left at $60.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by jason8225@Aug 10 2004, 01:40 PM
So you think a Dremel would be a good tool for that? (been itching for an excuse to get one! :D

But yeah, the dealer has the better price from what I've seen, though they don't stock them either, tose are order parts as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts