Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this club but i am all sad too i got a taurus (bull) with alot of cancer and mechanical problems i got 2000 Ford Taurus se in 08 for $725.00 with 145.000 miles it needed tons of parts so i put alot of money in it but i just did some work to it and found out that i need full rocker sills a floor (behind passenger seat) front & rear strut. rear springs i think a head gasket so i made up my mind that i am going to start saving for a new taurus but i am thinking a wagon this time but with 165.000 mile's and alot of work it is not worth fixing.
:angry: :(

·
Registered
809 Posts
My advice would be to find out for sure if it needs a head gasket. If it does, taking into account the rust issues and struts, it depends on what you can do vs what you'd have to pay others to do. If you are going to pay others to do all the repairs on it, I'd be looking for a newer car.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (hydetherat @ Jun 1 2010, 09:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808545
should i or should i not fix it need advice please[/b]
It depends on what needs to be fixed. You might want to list everything so we can add it all up. But then again, you bought a 2000 for $725. I would expect problems.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
keep it for part if you can and get a newer car is what i would do. rust unless you can get ALL of it will just continue to spread and if you have inspection that take into account rust you will most likely run into more issues in the future.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Absolutely not. The car is not worth it. The floor is rotted out, the springs / struts need replacement. With all of the rust, the struts and springs are going to run more than the car is worth

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 2 2010, 02:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808588
QUOTE (hydetherat @ Jun 1 2010, 09:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808545
should i or should i not fix it need advice please[/b]
It depends on what needs to be fixed. You might want to list everything so we can add it all up. But then again, you bought a 2000 for $725. I would expect problems.
[/b][/quote]

i have got my money out of it i live in maine and i have driven it to pa twice long island ny one time but i do know what you are saying and it did need a lot of work when i got it

·
Registered
833 Posts
Your no 1 problem, you live in maine. If you can, use the internet - craigslist, ebay, autotrader, etc. - find the bet deal you can from another part of the country and drive it, or have it shipped back. This can be risky, but can work out very well too. ( I hope to do this someday for a gm 80's gbody or late 70's trans am...)

·
Registered
809 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ Jun 2 2010, 10:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808669
Your no 1 problem, you live in maine. If you can, use the internet - craigslist, ebay, autotrader, etc. - find the bet deal you can from another part of the country and drive it, or have it shipped back. This can be risky, but can work out very well too. ( I hope to do this someday for a gm 80's gbody or late 70's trans am...)[/b]

:werd:
My 96 GL spent its life mostly in Arizona, it has only surface rust under the car. My grandparents lived there for retirement. My Uncle got a 67 Plymouth GTX from Arkansas and it was all original including the paint, had only surface rust under it also.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you decide to get another one down here, you'll want to rust proof the problem areas before winter up there. FYI there's tons of older Taurus for sale down here, Six Flaggs and Sea World is in San Antonio, of which is only an hour or so drive away, you can make a vacation out of it. This is one older gen 2 I found local 1993 3.8 Taurus. Rare to find one this old and in good condition.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I second this. My 2001 was a fleet car in GA for most of it's early years. I originally grew up in Vermont and have been out of there most of my *cough* adult life. But the first two cars that were passed down to me from the 'rents were Taurus'. I know of the rust problem you speak of.

Do some EBay or Craigslist searching for 2000+ Taurus' should not be too hard. I love mine and no rust issues at all with it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts