Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a week or so i posted (my 2000 ford taurus 3.0 valcon skiping on cyl 2) and i have tried every thing i can think of i have gone to advanced auto parts and it came up cyl 2 misfire detected so i did a compression test and it came up all cylinders are running 150 pounds and the other two ( 5 and 2 ) where running 120 pounds in cyl 2 when i took out the plug it was white and the other one's was a lot darker my first idea was bad head gasket was washing the plug in cyl 2 but i was not using fluid. so i reset the codes again and i put lucas injector cleaner in hoping there was dirty #2 injector nope then i put in a bottle of stop leak (head gasket) no change then i got a good #2 plug wire no change then some one told me it could be a dead injector so today i replaced the injector / plenum gasket / egr valve so i did that well same story NO CHANGE does any one have any ideas of what the hell is going on so a quick over view

changed coil pack nothing
did compression test
swaped pluges from cyl 2 to 4
added lucas fuel injector cleaner nothing
added liquid cooper had kicking around the shop
installed new injector nothing
swaped out plug wires nothing

out of ideas :(

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Maybe you should try doing a Sea Foam fog, as outlined in the topic finder (if it's still there, lol). Maybe you have carbon build up in the cylinder head, or valves. If that dosen't do it, maybe you have a bad valve? Rebuilt heads may be needed if that's that case (rebuilt heads are inexpensive on the Vulcans).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you should try doing a Sea Foam fog, as outlined in the topic finder (if it's still there, lol). Maybe you have carbon build up in the cylinder head, or valves. If that dosen't do it, maybe you have a bad valve? Rebuilt heads may be needed if that's that case (rebuilt heads are inexpensive on the Vulcans).
how do you use sea foam all so one of the reasons i am not going to rebuild motor is the car is roted out both rockers pass rear floor needs struts all the way around passenger rear spring is broke and 167.000 miles on it but i can try sea foam will not hurt where does it go oil ??

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Never put Sea Foam into the oil! That can cause instant rod knock. Take about half to 3/4 can Sea Foam and put into a container. When the engine is hot, take off the pcv valve, start the engine, hold the throttle up (about 3k rpm), and start slowly sucking up the Sea Foam into the engine (it will start to bog down). Once half to 3/4 can Sea foam is almost gone, allow the last bit left to get sucked in all at once til the engine dies. Put pvc valve back in place. Let stand about 10-15 before re-starting, it'll start hard the first time, and rev it up once it starts for about 20 seconds, lots of blue/black smoke will pour out the exhaust, do it on a windy day away from the garage or open windows!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Never put Sea Foam into the oil! That can cause instant rod knock. Take about half to 3/4 can Sea Foam and put into a container. When the engine is hot, take off the pcv valve, start the engine, hold the throttle up (about 3k rpm), and start slowly sucking up the Sea Foam into the engine (it will start to bog down). Once half to 3/4 can Sea foam is almost gone, allow the last bit left to get sucked in all at once til the engine dies. Put pvc valve back in place. Let stand about 10-15 before re-starting, it'll start hard the first time, and rev it up once it starts for about 20 seconds, lots of blue/black smoke will pour out the exhaust, do it on a windy day away from the garage or open windows!
Actually you can put in what the amount that is recommend on the instructions....if you do it right before an oil change.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Actually you can put in what the amount that is recommend on the instructions....if you do it right before an oil change.
I wouldn't put Sea Foam in the oil in a engine of that age/miles. I would only use Auto-RX to more safely remove sludge from a older engine, other members have used Auto-RX in older engines without problems.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k sounds good but i got to get it home it is stuck with a blown fuel line 5 miles in the woods

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is that how the fuel line broke? I didn't think a Taurus was ment to be driven off road
no went down a dirt road that has a few rocks the size of soft balls and some stumps and it picked up a soft ball size rock where the fuel filter sits
ooooooppppppps

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I did this.. and ran 300-500 miles on it with no ill effects...

It wasn't until Daniel (silvapain) told me to never run it for more than 5 minutes that I changed my oil the next day. :lol2:

If you know what your doing.. I found out you can run it for a while with the seafoam in it and no ill effects. Just be careful and don't be stupid. Keep an eye on your oil level and coloration and change it out within reason.. otherwise your just gonna cook the **** back into the motor and probably coke up some oil.

My suggestion, Follow what Austex says, and dont eff around with sea foam and oil. It should be done as a last ditch effort and done by someone who knows what to listen for in case **** gets real. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Change the oil regularly and you won't have a problem with "sludge" or "crud" in your engine.

Also "carbon buildup" in a cylinder head would be manifest by black-fouled plugs.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
is that how the fuel line broke? I didn't think a Taurus was ment to be driven off road
You'd be surprised at how well a Taurus does offroad.

Is the car actually misfiring that you can feel or is the computer just mistakenly telling you that?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts