Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok,
I have an '05 that I bought in '06 with 36k miles (was a program car...prob a rental or something).

Now it has 145k miles, and I am realizing that I have dont almost nothing to it other than a starter and a brakes and a battery. I have not even been very good about oil changes. I told you I am a bad owner. To me the Taurus is just a car...it does nothing to excite me...I am not in love with it...its just a car. At the same time...I want it to last because I cant afford to buy something else.

Soooooo....I know I need to do plugs and wires. I know I need to stay up on oil changes (go ahead and move to Mobile 1 or similar?). I prob need to flush tranny and coolant. I am also feeling some very light vibration in the front end...I am guessing I need shocks and prob other front end work.

Where would you start...what should I do? I need to make it last...shes been very reliable and trouble free...I want to keep it that way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Read the manual!

Do the oil changes. Change the plugs, wires and air filter. Flush the transmission and replace the filter. Install a tranny cooler.

Other items would be flushing the coolant system and brakes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would say oil changes are the biggest thing. You can let almost anything else go for a while, but if you don't change your oil, you're screwing yourself on keeping your car for very long. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what brand of oil you use, as long as you change in every 3,000 to 5,000 miles max.

Have all your ball joints and tie rod ends checked, they are a common failure point on Tauruses, and are extremely dangerous if they fail.

Don't worry about the shocks or anything unless you notice a problem.

A transmission fluid change is a good idea (make sure it's just a change and not a flush!)

It's probably about time to have your coolant system flushed too. That will prevent problems down the line with internal corrosion. Check all the coolant hoses, make sure they still seem to be in good shape and aren't bulging to cracking.

While you're at it change your fuel filter,

and check your serpentine belt for wear and cracks. It's supposed to be replaced at about 100,000 miles, and can strand you quick if it were to ever fail on you.

But really, if you don't do those oil changes, you'll be looking for a new car pretty soon.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
ok,
I have an '05 that I bought in '06 with 36k miles (was a program car...prob a rental or something).

Now it has 145k miles, and I am realizing that I have dont almost nothing to it other than a starter and a brakes and a battery. I have not even been very good about oil changes. I told you I am a bad owner. To me the Taurus is just a car...it does nothing to excite me...I am not in love with it...its just a car. At the same time...I want it to last because I cant afford to buy something else.
Maintaining a car isn't really about loving something, it's about trying to keep it in the best physical shape possible so you can get as many miles out of the car as possible. A truck driver driver doesn't screw around with their truck maintenance, they don't do it because they love their truck, they do it because they need the engine to go longer than 1,000,000 miles, rebuilds are crazy expensive for those machines.

You need to flush the transmission first. I would strongly suggest changing out the coolant as well. Might be a good idea to change the P/S fluid. Keep up on your oil changes. If you don't want to break the bank on oil changes, buy the cheapest crap you can find. Cleaner is better than dirty.

engine sludge - Google Search

^^ perhaps some photographic examples of what happens when you don't change your oil will help convince you. You can't expect an engine to go forever when it's that dirty inside, right?

You'll be in for quite of bit of front end work if you haven't replaced anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.