Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Nokya Hyper Purple lights - for awhile they worked...one night I tried to turn my lights on, they didn't turn on. After a cople of time trying I hecked every freakin' fuse in that car....none were burnt out. Finally waited that morning and took it to my Ford Dealer....they found that the connectors had heated up and actually started to melt them, which shorted them out....( bulbs were still good ).....what I'm asking is, does ANYONE know where I can find a pair of metal or more heat resistant connectors?....That was on recommendation from FORD....but, they stated they do not sell anything like that....and I have looked and looked...HELP

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anybody help me on this?

·
Registered
690 Posts
The connectors "shouldn't be" the problem if the bulbs were going to generate more heat or draw more power than normal the manufacturer would (should) state that other mods have to be made.
Contact the manufacturer and tell them what happened, you may have defective bulbs, and you would go through the whole process again.
You should be thankfull it din't toast more than just the connectors.

Just my $.02
"J"

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that was te thing. Ford said that they did draw more power...that somethjing like they even had their own resistor built in?....Not the care talk person....anyways....they said I needed to get a connector that could resist the heat....the wiring could take it they said

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The makers of the bulb stated the same thing.....they gave me a link but, I couldn't find it....closed the windoe to fast....tried to make them pay for it....but, no go

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I swear, you guys are the best!!!!!!....Never thought I'd be able to get those lights back in again you're awesome man....THANKS ALOT!!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
This topic has come up a number of different times, the stock wiring is fine with the stock bulbs, however people have had plenty of issues with aftermarket bulbs(silvertstars and other high wattage bulbs).
Bottom line, ugrading the harness is a good idea with even the stock bulbs, NEEDED for anything aftermarket.
Only thing to beware of, and this has also come up is making sure the bulbs do not heat up enough to cause damage to the lens housing...
good luck

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by 96waggin@Oct 25 2004, 10:59 AM
however people have had plenty of issues with aftermarket bulbs(silvertstars and other high wattage bulbs).
Not true, it depends on the wattage of the bulbs. Silverstars are fine, but I'd be hesitant in using any other "hyperwhite" bulb.

Bottom line, upgrading the harness is a good idea with even the stock bulbs, NEEDED for anything aftermarket.
Once again, silverstars are fine by themselves, but any bulb will benefit from a HD harness, and some need them.
I forgot the site that we normally recommend, but it's not the one jaybs95 posted. Not saying his link is crap, but............whatever. I can't think right now. :lol:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0+Oct 25 2004, 01:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Oct 25 2004, 01:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-96waggin@Oct 25 2004, 10:59 AM
however people have had plenty of issues with aftermarket bulbs(silvertstars and other high wattage bulbs).
Not true, it depends on the wattage of the bulbs. Silverstars are fine, but I'd be hesitant in using any other "hyperwhite" bulb.

Bottom line, upgrading the harness is a good idea with even the stock bulbs, NEEDED for anything aftermarket.
Once again, silverstars are fine by themselves, but any bulb will benefit from a HD harness, and some need them.
I forgot the site that we normally recommend, but it's not the one jaybs95 posted. Not saying his link is crap, but............whatever. I can't think right now. :lol: [/b][/quote]
I'll argue both those points later since I do not have the pics here to back anything up. but WITH the larger harnesss you will see about 40% better current flow to the lights themselves(try it with a meter).
The silverstars when installed in my car were only marginally better than the stock lights at best due to being restricted by the factory wiring.
Upon installation both the voltage increase from 12.3 at idle to 13.2 at idle.
the current also was increased by nearly 35% as well.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Did you have problems with Silverstars? There have to be hundreds of people using them here on these boards, myself included, and I have never heard of a problem before, which is why I posted what I did. Plus, they are stock wattage, so they shouldn't cause any damage.

And just a comment-- IMO, Silverstars were amazing compared to my stock bulbs. Need to dry out my headlights so I can get some in the SHO too. So yeah, I really liked them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
my issue I had was very poor pattern, white light yes...not bright however, the stock harness with the silvertstars was being choked and the voltage was too low, this may have been something special in my car, but with the harness I made..I'm at 110% now.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I doubt those bulbs are bad or faulty..

if its a cheap generic bulb, it most likely isn't too efficient and draws a lot of current.

You guys won't notice much of a different between stock harness and aftermarket harness either...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've had silverstars for like six months, and I'm never looking back. Even with the stock harnesses, they're much brighter than stock bulbs. They are also much whiter.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 25 2004, 11:56 PM
I've had silverstars for like six months, and I'm never looking back. Even with the stock harnesses, they're much brighter than stock bulbs. They are also much whiter.

JR
Silverstars are great, i love mine. They are very white and give great contrast on the road B)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Oct 25 2004, 10:52 PM
You guys won't notice much of a different between stock harness and aftermarket harness either...
Now I don't know from firsthand experience, but I've heard a couple of times that HD harnesses are a great upgrade. The difference between stock SS's and SS's with the harness is as good as if not better than the difference between stock bulbs and SS's. Keep in mind this is only what I've heard, but I've heard it more than a few times.

BTW SS's are great. The light is just so "white" compared to stock, and there's more of it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went ahead and ordered the " upgrade wire harness " for the car so I can put the Nokya bulbs in there....the issue before is the casing got so hot that is shorted it out....( From what Ford says )....which they said I needed to upgrade the wire harness....now, will the newer harness ( form what the link that jay gave, be able to with stand this or is there really no difference at all between the stock and the upgrade?

PS.....they don't look white either, they're a purplish color....they really do look like a HD system without the price tag.....anybody wanna take a look at the website it's... www.coolbulbs.com

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
silverstars are not a problem they are only pushing about 55w/65w. The ebay spacial lights are like 85w/95w. Also color bulbs don't do well in the rain.

I have silverstars in my Grand Am and no problems. I have coolblue low beams in our Malibu and no problems.

GrandAm
http://img41.exs.cx/img41/604/gastars.jpg' alt='' width='800' height='600' class='attach' />[/url]

Malibu
[url=http://img41.exs.cx/img41/3626/malibubule.jpg][img]http://img41.exs.cx/img41/3626/malibubule.jpg' alt='' width='800' height='600' class='attach' />[/url]

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
got some light from a friend here in canada called sparko

and is bulb are good price and they are better than ss

they are 65 55 w and output 100 125w

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Silverstars are a way to go!! I had them on my former 2002 Ranger on headlights and foglights (9005). I had Hyperwhites for $20 a bulb at Pepboys. They're now in my Taurus which soon I will get the Silverstars..after I get the discoballs ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts