Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even an hour ago, I was driving home with my dad from the shooting range, and it had rained torrents by the time we had finished shooting. I got to my neighborhood uneventfully, to find the streets to be halfway up the curbs with water. I drove slowly and carefully through, but I could still hear the water pounding against the fender shield. The engine didn't falter the slightest bit right up to the house, but as I turned into the driveway, the car tilted uphill and it happened: KNOCK CLUNK POOF... silence. :blink: A huge cloud of steam came out the tailpipe. No more mad Vulcan powah for me. I'm like "oh [email protected]!#", mostly because I knew full well I should have put the cone filter up higher. So far Mom and Dad are being cool about it. I'm not though. :oops:

The aftermath: The engine still cranks and runs, but its missing on a cylinder and makes a god-awful rythmic metal-on-metal knocking noise, like a bent valve or broken parts hitting a piston or a snapped connecting rod smacking the crankcase like a flail. I found water in the intake, some got in the oil, no external leaks as of now, but the coolant level dropped a pint. So I may have also cracked a coolant passage or blown the head gasket. I guess I'll do a compression test, then rip off the valve covers and take it from there.

God help me I'm just not that bright... :nopity:

X

·
0 Posts
Dont worry man, we all make mistakes. Time to live and learn, and cough up some $$$.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
wow hun. we just did the same exact thing the other day!!! its making the same noise. i took out the spark plugs and undid all of my CAI and all the tubing, changed the oil, and let it dry for a day and a half. well, guess what, the noise is still there!! we are gonna call the insurance company tommorow to see if that would be covered, but i'm not sure if i should keep that CAI on or put the stock filter back on. let me know what happens with your car. go read my post about mine. its in mantaince and repairs and it says QUICK, help.. etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Read the packaging on K&N filters, they say that using aftermarket filters do not void warranty. Same with your CAI, as long as it meets OEM requirements it cannot void your warranty or anything else. White smoke and knocking sounds more like you cracked a head, cold water on hot metal is bad. That would also explain why you are low on coolant. Check your oil and see if you can find your missing antifreeze

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh yeahh, that's right Raver, you posted the same problem the day before me. Musta not seen it. :D
Update:
I did a dry cranking compression test and got

1: 100 psi dry then 115 wet -are the rings ok? @68k mi.
2: 170 dry
3: 163 dry
4: 173 dry
5: 173 dry
6: 172 dry

#3's pressure is within less than 10% of the highest cylinder, so its probably fine, right?

I looked at the valvetrain on the rear bank and it seems fine. Nothing bent, sticking or worn. The investigation into the clanging noise continues...

EDIT for Madness: The car only spewed white smoke at first. I think I may have just filled the expansion tank while it was still warm. The oil looks normal, but I'll be changing it and the filter anyway. The car was bought AS IS. And it wasn't K&N's fault I put it horizontally near the bottom of the fenderwell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts