and now im lost

i want to and a tranny cooler but on the secondary line

but people are telling me that this is not a good idea because

1 it not made to have one

2 ford did not put one so it does not need one

3 you add a tranny rad when you pull a lot of weight

4 the rest i don't remember lolllllll :blink:

5 my rad with the tranny line should be enough ??? not sure but

but me hummm i still think that i need one but i don't even know what size ( 3 size small medium big ) and i was wondering if i put one on the secondary line cuz for me i still think that my rad is too hot even for my car rad is brand new but there is still a but

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Those people either don't know what they're talking about, or they feel that whatever comes with the car from the factory is good enough. Heat is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions, and adding a cooler is very highly recommended, especially with our transmissions.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree. I'm planning on adding on to my car soon, with 79K on the ticker. I think they're important on ANY automatic trans.

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Just because ford didn't put a second cooler or a bigger cooler on doesn't mean that it doesn't need one. As 93 Sable said heat is the number 1 killer for our transmission (auto trans in general). The physical size of the cooler is relative to the design (tube & fin or stacked plate) and manufacture of the cooler. A better measurement is the gross vehicle weight. The average GVW that people have gotten for their coolers from what i have seen here seems to be between 18K and 20K GVW. Where you mount them depends on your gen and the cooler you buy also.

I have a gen3 and a hayden 1403 cooler and the picture below shows how it is mounted. It's best/easiest to connect the second cooler after the stock cooler not after the cooler lines running though the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool ill do that

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree. Heat is bad stuff for a auto tranny.

HOWEVER.

I believe GVW is a factor in the type of cooler you buy, but also how you drive will make a difference.

If you drive your car like you stole it, you would do well to buy a performance cooler. For normal every day driving, though, a medium level cooler should suffice.

Absolutely get one though. I'm going to invest in one soon.

Word of advice...most of the guys/gals here know what they're talking about. If the folks here are flocking to buy coolers for their tranny, then my best advice is go and do thou likewise.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive seen 2 kind of rad cooler wich one should i buy

the one in the picture before or the other model ? from hightechredneck

oh and highttechredneck lollll this is not your tranny line its the power steering cooler off line lollllllll but the actual secondary cooler is just underneat lolllllll

·
Registered
176 Posts
the stock tranny cooler on gen 3s the line starts from the right as your looking at it in his pic runs to the left side and then turns around and drops down and comes back.. At least thats the way it is on my gen 3.. But I have a tauri not a sable so it might be a suttle difference....

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by mooby+Jul 30 2004, 07:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mooby @ Jul 30 2004, 07:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>ive seen 2 kind of rad cooler wich one  should i buy

the one in the picture before or the other model ? from hightechredneck[/b]

The two kinds are tube and fin (which i have in my picture) and stacked plate. Tube and fin cost less but takes up more space for the same GVW that a smaller staked plate design would be able to do. So a stacked plate design would be smaller for the same GVW but would cost more. You will also have to mount a stacked plate cooler differently since the in/out connections on it come out vertically instead of horizontally like the tube and fin coolers do (assuming correct orientation).
<!--QuoteBegin-mooby
@Jul 30 2004, 07:52 PM
oh and highttechredneck lollll this is not your tranny line its the power steering cooler off line lollllllll but the actual secondary cooler is just underneat lolllllll[/quote]
Not true. On my model and year the ones i have marked in the pictures are correct. For some reason ford used to have the finned line/cooler as the PS line/cooler but then realized that it would make more sense for that to be the ATX cooler so they switched it. It all depends on what year and model you have as to which one of those lines was PS and which was ATX. IIRC they either made the change in 97 or 98. Will see if i can find it and will post the correct date.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Yup, i was correct. The cut off for the old setup (as mooby explained it) was in 97. In 98 they changed it so the ps cooler is the non-finned pipe and the ATX cooler is the finned cooler (as my sable is). Some have said that the 98+ taurus went to a finned tube for both cooler lines but others have said theirs was similar to the mine above.

Regardless, the PS cooler is a 1/2" tube and the ATX a 3/8" tube throughout the gen3 (not sure about the other gens). We had discussed this a few month's ago in this thread. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5597&hl=

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can get about the same cooler as ******* sa just a bit bigger would it suffice ? or should i get a new kind of rad like the bee hive thing ?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
i'm running duel cooler on my 94 SHO, the stock is a stacked plate and the aftermarket is tube and fin, I can take a pic but can not host.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by mooby@Aug 2 2004, 10:44 PM
i can get about the same cooler as ******* sa just a bit bigger would it suffice ? or should i get a new kind of rad like the bee hive thing ?
The one i have suffices (Hayden 1403). If you went with a Tru-Cool stacked plate design you can get one the same (or close) physical dimensions as my tube fine cooler but instead of it being 18K GVW (like my hayden 1403) it would be more like 20K GVW or more. Like i said the stacked plate design can do the same as the tube fine it just does it in a smaller package for a higher cost. It's a matter of personal preference.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Aug 3 2004, 09:38 AM
i'm running duel cooler on my 94 SHO, the stock is a stacked plate and the aftermarket is tube and fin, I can take a pic but can not host.
That would be cool, would like to see that. I'd just be worried about the possibility of a pressure drop with two after market coolers attached. Have you noticed any pressure drop or ill effects of having two?

You don't have to host the picture you can attach the picture as a file attachment to your post. Next time you post look below and you will see a section called file attachments and you can browse to your picture and post it from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol yes there is a difference the price

if the same rad a bit bigger in fin will be the same as the plated one and the price is bigger but it does the same job

18 20 not too bad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts