Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a very loud humming noise comming from the front passenger side wheel, so I'm assuming its the wheel bearing, because you turn the wheel to the left and its silent, keep it straight its noisy, turn right its noisy...Anywho the autoplace sells the whole hub assembly for $70-$100, question is, is it easy to take the hub assembly off? If so how do you go about it?....Or do I leave this one to the shop? The car is a 1996 Taurus LX Duratec, AX4N Tranny. I spun the car twice doing 90 after a rear tire decided to shred. The front shock mount is also off by an inch, bu tI am assuming I can jus tunbolt it and remount it?......*sigh*

Any help would be great guy/gals

~Chris

·
Registered
549 Posts
Are you sure it's the passenger side? Remember weight shifts to the outside wheel when turning. So if it's noisy when you turn right, that would usually indicate a bad driver's side bearing.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its definetly that side, because i jacked the car up and spun the wheel and i could hear it from that wheel only, plus it vibrates yer feet on that side. Think its the wheel bearing? (Still talking about the passenger wheel)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hmm, not sure. Did you notice any play in the wheel when you had it jacked up? Like I said you usually get the noise when turning the opposite direction of the wheel with the bad bearing. When I had a bearing go bad on my '99, it made a noise that I would describe more as a growl than a hum. Make sure it's not something simpler like something brake-related before you replace the bearing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Dec 9 2003, 04:10 PM
whats the avg life of these bearing in the gen 3's
I had one go out on my '99 at around 40,000 miles. I sure hope that's not average, cause it sucks, especially considering my '93 didn't need one until nearly 130,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
If it makes the noise just by spinning the wheel freely, I'm 99% certain it's a bad hub. Had to replace both front hubs on my '91, you'd drive down the road and hear nothing but "whuwhuwhuwhuwhuwhu" and it drove me nuts.

Word of advice, but O/T: if you ever need your half-shafts replaced, might as well have them both replaced at once - I was told (can't remember which way it goes) but to replace one of them, they have to remove the other one anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm at 130k on the miles, there was no play in the wheel, and the noie doesnt go away when breakes are applied, ect..I thougth it might be the rotor being out of balance or sumthing, but i dont htink that would cover all the symptoms....next question is, how hard is it to replace the hub?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The hub and bearing have to be pressed into and out of the knuckle using a shop press. Replace both of them.

Contact local machine shops for a labor quote. Find out also if they will do the work if you supply the parts or if they will only do it on the parts they sell.

Steve

·
Registered
379 Posts
Replaced the driver's side hub/bearing assembly on my '97 GL about 6 months ago (95K).

I bought the hub/bearing myself from NAPA ($85.00 w/no core) and a local garage charged me $100 cash (tax included) to install that along with a new halfshaft on that side ($56 from Napa w/$82 core).

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you reccomend getting the halfhafts done as well?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Dec 10 2003, 10:38 AM
Do you reccomend getting the halfhafts done as well?
Yes, I do. Your already halfway home by pulling the hub/bearing assembly, anyway (which is what I also told the shop when I was negotiating the labor charge
).

IMHO, for $56, why not get it done while you're at it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced one on my 99 wagon a couple of weeks ago. The gen3's are more difficult than earlier models but I was able to do it home in my garage. Here's a link to the thread that's in the archives on the old forum:

http://www.taurusclub.com/archive/index.php?showtopic=11855

The dealer quoted me about $200 to have it done. Note that the part was cheaper at the dealer than at Autozone!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yea, when I found out I might have to compress the spring on the '97 that's when I decided to let the shop do it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts