Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, 1st post. I have been dealing, for a LONG time, with a NOISE from my front wheel. I have the stock steel wheels(16 inch), with the plastic 21 spoke hub caps. The noise sounds like rubber being pulled, or pushed. Had the tires changed, the noise came back. Had the wheels changed, the noise came back. Replaced the darn hub cap itself, the noise came back. (Not right away, but always withina few days) I am pretty sure now it is the hub cap, pulling on something (can find no evidence of this). All I do know, is if I remove the hub cap, the noise stops (call me Sherlock Holmes!!!).
Anyhow, while I do not want to invest in a set of aluminum wheels, I am also hesitant to buy another set of cheap plastic covers that may or may not do the same thing. It's August now, and the hubcap is off, but, with the spindle nut exposed, I know I need to do something. Any suggestions? I am in Lakewood, Ohio. Thanks in advance, and I am also hoping that b/c I have a Sable, I am not going to be given the red headed step child routine......:unsure:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I hear hubcaps rattling around on downtown roads often, especially on the state owned Tauruses. Your best bet would be to head to walmart and just buy some new ones for a 16" wheel or try to bend the tabs to make them fit snugger/tighter on the wheel (on the hubcap).

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Hi Jim, and welcome. You can always check out the pull a part yards and see if you can find some wheel covers there. The Cleveland west lot is the nearest one to you. You may even find a set of rims that you like there, would cost no more that $100 for all 4 and if your lucky they will have some good tires on them. Remember, you can use either taurus or sable rims if you do change over.
BTW, I am in Parma, not to far from you if you ever need help with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents:

Thank you both for your replies. I will probably NOT get another set of hubcaps, as I don't know if they will do the same thing.

DLC: When I saw that avatar, I KNEW I was dealing with a local. AMRAP????????? I will definately scope out broken wheel on Saturday. 100 bucks would be doable by far.

As Ghoulardi would have said: "Stay sick...and cool it with the boom booms!!!!!"

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Take some tools with you, go right under the train bridge from broken wheel to pull a part. Take a walk through the lot and find some rims. I know they have alot to pick from. I may be going up there around 10:30 / 11am tomorrow, look for the wagon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts