Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Aug 16 2004, 08:27 PM
Hm, that'll buff right out!
Hahaha, that reminds me of the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles where John Candy takes the chrysler convertable down the wrong way of a highway and drives between two semi's. The car is all mangled and beaten up and he says "oh, this'll buff right out, they'll never know"

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
:repost: ???

So what if the airbag didn't deploy? It's not like you should rely on it as your primary saftey device. It's an addition to the seatbelt. If you are wearing seatbelts and you survived that crash with minor injuries, then who cares about the airbag deplyoing or not! There are rare ocurances where the seatbelt does trap you and might lead to death, but those are really rare chances. I bet the people who have this lawsuit are the same people who think that they don't need to wear seatbelts because the airbag will save them.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
well stupied need to know that if you get a side impact first that cuts the wiring then the air bag will not deploy.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What would the side impact have anything to do with cutting the wires? I would think that the air bag wiring would run from the sensors, to the computer, and straight through the firewall, up the steering column (and through the dash), and into the air bag modules. What would the side impact do to the wiring?

JR

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
The air bag modules have their own internal power charged from the battery so that it will deploy even if the wires to the battery are cut. That's why there's all the warnings in the service manuals in the sections about the steering to be sure to discharge the air bag before working on the steering wheel, etc.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Well guess what? My friend rear ended a Suburban in his Accord and his airbags did not deploy either. Turns out the 'Burb's bumper was ABOVE his crash sensors, so his airbags would never have deployed either.

Should we sue Honda also? Why don't we go sue everybody?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by crackhead@Aug 16 2004, 09:06 PM
well stupied need to know that if you get a side impact first that cuts the wiring then the air bag will not deploy.
Are you retarded or something? :headscratch: The impact doesn't cut the wiring in a side impact. The reason the air bag doesn't deploy is because all the force of the impact is coming sideways and the sensors that trigger the airbags are front to back. If the air bag deployed in a side impact while your body is moving sideways from the impact, the airbag would be giving you no help, and would likely produce MORE damage than if hadn't gone off. That was why they came up with side impact air bags. AND, where are they located? THAT'S RIGHT, on the side.

In fact I would bet money that if someone were T-boned with side air bags, the sides would go off and the steering wheel wont. Good god please rethink yourself.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Aug 17 2004, 02:56 PM
Why don't we go sue everybody?
Unfortunately buddy, we all ready do. :(

-mobiuslogic

sorry about the double post, had to say it

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is a lot of logic and programming that goes into firing the airbag. It is asenine to simply say "The airbag failed to deploy". No, the airbag didn't deploy. Was it supposed to given the input the control modules received? Did something override the programming? Was power somehow cut to the device? Was the driving not wearing a seatbelt (and thus causing a safety override of the bag - don't know if this occurs in a Taurus or not)? It gets much more complicated than simply saying "The airbag failed." Just my 2 cents as a programmer.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Mantioch@Aug 17 2004, 04:26 PM
There is a lot of logic and programming that goes into firing the airbag. It is asenine to simply say "The airbag failed to deploy". No, the airbag didn't deploy. Was it supposed to given the input the control modules received? Did something override the programming? Was power somehow cut to the device? Was the driving not wearing a seatbelt (and thus causing a safety override of the bag - don't know if this occurs in a Taurus or not)? It gets much more complicated than simply saying "The airbag failed." Just my 2 cents as a programmer.
:withstupid:

I couldn't agree more. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts