Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have been thinking about putting wheel spacers on the wagon, possibly also to change the lug pattern. I have heard that using spacers will mess up the bearings and cause other suspention issues. If I go with the new lug pattern, the spacers would be 1.25 to 1.5 inches spacing the wheels out as much as 3 inches overall. Before I do this I want to have an idea what to expect in the way of possible bearing damage. The car will not be raced or track driven, just daily city and highway use.
Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no information on your spacer question, but just how do you plan to change the bolt pattern? I would LOVE to have a 5x4.5 pattern so I could run stock cobra rims. :blush:
I talked with a wheel spacer / adapter dealer at the Ohio All Ford Swap Meet over Thanksgiving weekend. He hasnt had any call for an adapter for the 108 to ??? but said it would be possible to make them. He mentioned 2 options, one would be to cut down the original studs then you would get away with once as thin as 3/4 to 1 inch thick. I still plan on keeping my "winter wheels" so I need to run the original length studs and would need a thicker spacer, up to about 1 1/2 inch thick. He is talking about $40.00 per spacer so its not to cheap, but its reasonable if you want different wheels. I am going to see him again at the spring show and see if I want to just space out my SHO rims or go with another style.

I understandf the wheel "poke" issue, I am looking at a combination of wheel offset and fender flair for clearance. I havent sat down and really figured things out yet, becasue that all depends on the suspention wear issues.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I talked with a wheel spacer / adapter dealer at the Ohio All Ford Swap Meet over Thanksgiving weekend. He hasnt had any call for an adapter for the 108 to ??? but said it would be possible to make them.
Obviously not a very successful wheel spacer/adapter dealer if he didn't realize 108mm = 4.25". Just about every wheel spacer/adapter company makes a 4.25" to 4.50" adapter. Here is one from Topline:

Billet Wheel Adapter 5x4.25 to 5x4.5 - Topline 54255450

It adds +32mm to the offset.

There are a number of good looking wheels in the 4.50" offset, some I found that I like, 10-spoke Acura TL 17x8, 10-spoke Ford Fusion 17x7.5 (44mm offset), 10-spoke Ford Fusion 18x7.5 (44mm offset), 10-spoke Lexus IS250 18x8 (45mm), Y-spoke Mazda RX8 18x8 (50mm), Y-spoke Nissan Altima 18x8 (45mm), V-spoke Nissan Maxima 18x8 (50mm) and of course Nissan 350Z/370Z wheels are also in this bolt pattern, same with Honda S2000.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, as I was running aftermarket 16 x 7.5 40mm offset wheel's w/225-55-16's on my 98' Sable wagon, and far out as I'd care to go. Maybe be a bit careful here before doing something you may regret.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, as I was running aftermarket 16 x 7.5 40mm offset wheel's w/225-55-16's on my 98' Sable wagon, and far out as I'd care to go. Maybe be a bit careful here before doing something you may regret.
I am looking to run different wheels. The 108mm spacing doesnt leave alot of choices when it comes to wheels unless you order aftermarket rims. To me, 99% of the aftermarkets all look the same. I want to run a BBS basket weave style rim, I beleave the Lincoln LSC used them in a 16 inch. I saw 4 sets of them in Columbus all for less than $100 for a set. You wont find aftermarket rims for that price in that style anywhere.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Actually know the wheel's you're talking about, as a friend used to have a 91' LSC. These were RWD car's, so cafeful with the offset's, not to mention the added spacer's. This style wheel is considered quite dated and a bear to keep clean, so maybe why the cheap price. Also, how much do the spacer/adapter's cost. If you do end up cutting down your existing stud's and decide to later go back, then what. Know I certainly wouldn't go this route.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually know the wheel's you're talking about, as a friend used to have a 91' LSC. These were RWD car's, so cafeful with the offset's, not to mention the added spacer's. This style wheel is considered quite dated and a bear to keep clean, so maybe why the cheap price. Also, how much do the spacer/adapter's cost. If you do end up cutting down your existing stud's and decide to later go back, then what. Know I certainly wouldn't go this route.
LOL...nothing is a bear to keep clean if your car is always clean.... :p Dirt is affraid of my car and doesnt come near it. The wagon can be show ready at anytime from April to October in less than 90 minutes, from roof to brake lines and everything in between.

The spacers are about less than $40 each. I dont want to cut my studs, becasue I do want to be able to use my stock rims in the winter, but that all depends on the fenders. If I had to I would sell off the stock rims and buy steels for winter in the new bolt pattern. The other option, if ever needed to change back new studs could be pressed in. But if I went that route, there would be no need to change the studs.

What I would really like to do, but again parts issues, would be to re-drill the stud plates and stock brake rotors to the new bolt pattern and install new studs there. That would be a b!tch though if i ever need to change a rotor in an emergency while out of town.

There is still alot to look into with this before I folloow through with it.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
if your really looking to have some wheels for your car and you like a certain rim like lets say a bbs lm rim in 18". talk to a local wheel collision shop such as the one by me (bath wheel collision in bath pa as an example) Have them fill and re drill the wheels. They can give you a rough idea of what kind of wheel hub size and bolt pattern wheels would work best to have filled and redrilled. they guy who bought the bbs design 5000 in 5x108 pattern from me a little while ago had them filled and redrilled to 5x100. i froget how much it was each wheel but i want to say it was under a 100 a wheel.. No worring about flares, spacers, rubbing ect.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All very good ideas, and thank you all for the ideas. The original BBS wheels I like are no longer made, and they are a 3 piece wheel. The gold center basket weave, but the last time I say a set of 4 in any kind of useable condition they were over $2000 for 4 rims and needed total restoration. I look to do things for the lowest reasonable cost and with as many original parts as possible. Its very easy to open a check book and pay to have your car made to go fast or look pretty, the real skill is to take what is available at the lowest cost and make it just as good or sometimes better.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
got the shovel out here....

installed 5x130 spacers on a friends jetta the other day to run porsche 911 wheels they were 1.5" i believe, and are on with no issues, and he has several "vdub" friends that run the same setup with SUPER wide wheels and no problems, only deal is they stretched the tires.

so im wondering, say you were NOT lowered, and you had a 1.5/2.0" spacer, what would be the chances of fitting cobra wheels? 9 in wide i believe?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.