Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, all
2002 taurus sel, 6cd changer, but no 6 speakers mach system. so if i wanna upgrade to mach system, what things should i get? 2 mach tweeters + mach amp? that's all? plugs of two amp are the same? thanks

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (jonas @ May 20 2009, 07:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726792
hi, all
2002 taurus sel, 6cd changer, but no 6 speakers mach system. so if i wanna upgrade to mach system, what things should i get? 2 mach tweeters + mach amp? that's all? plugs of two amp are the same? thanks[/b]
Just the tweeters and RCU. The rcu will plug right in, you might have to run some short speaker wire from the door speakers to the tweeters. Easy upgrade.

I have the tweeters and RCU for sale if you're interested. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you have an SEL, you'll have the connectors in the door for the tweeters, so it's plug 'n' play on both the RCU and the tweeters. You don't need MACH branded tweeters either, regular ones from a 1998 will work as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

as for other 4 speakers, even in mach system, does it also use these factory speakers?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (jonas @ May 20 2009, 09:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726823
thanks

as for other 4 speakers, even in mach system, does it also use these factory speakers?[/b]
Rear speakers are regular factory speakers as far as I can tell, the front door dpeakers sometimes use a small crossover, but I didnt notice a difference in sound quality. If you want to upgrade the door/rear deck speakers, I would go aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
The tweeters have a HI-Pass filter soldered to the terminal. No a big cross-over you are thinking of.
They are normally wired in parallel to the main door speaker. I just ordered a set from SHOMEX. I will do a little write up since my SES Isn't provisioned for them. Just Vampire taps will do.

But you do have SEL. Bull Geek is the Trim Line Expert Here. You more than likely have the wire the tweets plug into. Again they are in parallel with the main door speaker. Nothing complicated.

An the tweeters are an added benift. With the Tweetes and the Mach RCU. One doesn't require the other. They are nice together though. (as I have been told) ;)

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
And just to be clear, the tweeters I have do include the tweeter crossovers to eliminate any lower frequencies.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
QUOTE (jonas @ May 20 2009, 10:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726823
thanks

as for other 4 speakers, even in mach system, does it also use these factory speakers?[/b]
To directly answer this question. Yes it does.

Sorry if we are all bombarding you with (maybe conflicting) info. We all like to provide info. Just all in good fun. (me anyway)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:welcome: bombardment. haha..
question: in this case , there will be two hi-frequency, tweeter and door speaker(hi, mid. low)

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
The door speakers don't have built in tweeters, they're just single cone speakers. I think the crossover that is in those is to eliminate some of the highs. I haven't had a chance to take a speaker out of one and examine the crossover there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 20 2009, 11:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726844
The door speakers don't have built in tweeters, they're just single cone speakers. I think the crossover that is in those is to eliminate some of the highs. I haven't had a chance to take a speaker out of one and examine the crossover there.[/b]
so, for sound system without tweeters(4 speaker system), where is the high-frequency? personally i think the door speaker is a wide-frequency one with hi-pass

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
It just pumps all frequencies through all four speakers.

I thought the Mach and base systems both used the same four and the only filter was on the tweeters...I've never noticed a difference but I haven't really looked that closely.

The base speakers work fine with Mach. They're rated for 25w and sound fine with the tweeters (make sure you get ones with the high-pass filters as already mentioned).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
96s had a different setup with the tweeters.

97+ have the filter as part of the wiring for the tweeter, on the tweeter side of the door connector.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So in other words...If I have a Mach system from a 97 on up, I can swap out the stock system in my 2002 or 2003 and not install tweeters and it will work the same as what's in their now? I also got some Kenwoods from my 96, do yall think they will do anything with the standard system or the Mach?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Runner @ May 22 2009, 07:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727180
So in other words...If I have a Mach system from a 97 on up, I can swap out the stock system in my 2002 or 2003 and not install tweeters and it will work the same as what's in their now? I also got some Kenwoods from my 96, do yall think they will do anything with the standard system or the Mach?[/b]
It'll work the same as before, just have better sound quality overall with the Mach. Putting the kenwood speakers in will make the Mach system even better. '

I still would suggest getting the tweeters, as they are a inexpensive, easy upgrade that will make the music sound better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 22 2009, 07:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727183
QUOTE (Bull Runner @ May 22 2009, 07:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727180
So in other words...If I have a Mach system from a 97 on up, I can swap out the stock system in my 2002 or 2003 and not install tweeters and it will work the same as what's in their now? I also got some Kenwoods from my 96, do yall think they will do anything with the standard system or the Mach?[/b]
It'll work the same as before, just have better sound quality overall with the Mach. Putting the kenwood speakers in will make the Mach system even better. '

I still would suggest getting the tweeters, as they are a inexpensive, easy upgrade that will make the music sound better.
[/b][/quote]

That's the business!!! So, do you think the tweeters out of my 96 will work or do I need to look for some GEN IV tweeters? And will I need to swap fuses?0 I blew a couple on my 96 when I did this.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
No fuse swapping is necessary. You'll have a much easier time putting some tweeters from a 1998+ Taurus/Sable. the 96/7s use a different design, which includes a metal bar riveted to the door (the speaker grille bolts onto this).

You'll have to tap the tweeter wiring into your 01...just be sure to get as much of the tweeter harness as possible (include the foam wrapped crossover. Make note of the wiring colors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
from 4-speaker to 6-speaker by adding 2 tweeters, the problem is 2 high-frequency come from 2 different points, tweeter and door speaker(all frequencies)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The door speakers are by your feet (and if you have a passenger, their legs will block it) so the highs are probably not going to be clear from them anyways. The tweeters in the sail panel are closer to your ears and make up for the speakers down below.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 20 2009, 09:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726804
If you have an SEL, you'll have the connectors in the door for the tweeters, so it's plug 'n' play on both the RCU and the tweeters. You don't need MACH branded tweeters either, regular ones from a 1998 will work as well.[/b]
who has the pic of this connector to show me the position behind door panel?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts