Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. I have a 96 with a 3.0 vulcan. it has 50k miles (a true grandma car haha). as I was driving home on the freeway yesterday the oil pressure warning light came on. I exited and pulled over as soon as it was safe.

There is no audible knocking, engine seems to run fine from the 10 seconds I ran it after being pulled over. due to the low mileage, an oil pump or bearing failure seems unlikely.

I am having a difficult time locating the sensor. I searched and all the treads related to the oil pressure sensor are so old that the pictures on the posts dont exist anymore. I found a sensor directly under the according air intake hose kinda below a heater hose that has a single wire going to it (the connector is the "nub" kind, NOT a spade connector) that seems the most likely candidate for the sensor. is this right?

and what would be the best way to go about testing the sensor. thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have similar problem, search Flickering Oil Pressure Light. I did change the sensor along with camshaft synchronizer and sensor that goes on top of it, but the problem still there. Place where I went did not have a gauge to check oil pressure. Will try to find another garage.

What oil do you run? I was told not to run 5w-20, but to use 5w-30 or even 10w-30. My car has 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running whatever the owners manual says. 5-20 I think... but my main question is where on the block is the oil pressure sensor?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have G4 Taurus (2001) with Vulcan and mine located at the top to the back of the engine (on the drivers' side).

·
Registered
76 Posts
hello all. I have a 96 with a 3.0 vulcan. it has 50k miles (a true grandma car haha). as I was driving home on the freeway yesterday the oil pressure warning light came on. I exited and pulled over as soon as it was safe.

There is no audible knocking, engine seems to run fine from the 10 seconds I ran it after being pulled over. due to the low mileage, an oil pump or bearing failure seems unlikely.

I am having a difficult time locating the sensor. I searched and all the treads related to the oil pressure sensor are so old that the pictures on the posts dont exist anymore. I found a sensor directly under the according air intake hose kinda below a heater hose that has a single wire going to it (the connector is the "nub" kind, NOT a spade connector) that seems the most likely candidate for the sensor. is this right?

and what would be the best way to go about testing the sensor. thanks in advance for your time.
I believe the sensor you found, is the engine temp sending unit for the dash gauge. No help on the oil pressure sensor, but check around the oil filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now I found the sensor all right. put in a new one, no change, solid oil pressure light (NOT flickering) and there is a tick that has gotten louder and is turning into a knock. I think im screwed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
now I found the sensor all right. put in a new one, no change, solid oil pressure light (NOT flickering) and there is a tick that has gotten louder and is turning into a knock. I think im screwed.
Well definitely quite running the motor. With that kind of mileage I doubt that you have wear issues with bearings. I would drop the pan, check for blockage, and check to see if the pump is in decent shape, and attached properly. Also, check the oil filter for blockage.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Put a T in the hole and then thread the sensor and a seperate pressure gage in there.

Or just put a pressure gauge. It won't lie to you.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I bet the cam sensor sheared a roll pin and your oil pump isn't spinning...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts