Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about grabbing the wheel at 3-9 and moving it. If the wheel moves, the tie rod is bad. How can I to tell which one is bad from the shaking? Does the bad joint pivot with wheel shaking?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I usually change them both anyway because if one is gone, the other one is probably about to go as well. They don't cost that much and you will have better alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean changing inner and outer together? Or changing both L and R? Or do you change all 4?

·
Registered
128 Posts
oh I see what you're saying....usually the outer ones go first, and you can tell once they're off whether they were the culprit or not. They're supposed to be kinda stiff, not loose. Having said that, my car had the inner ones go first on both sides so go figure...other than taking them off, there is no way of telling whether it's inner or outer going bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know about grabbing the wheel at 3-9 and moving it. If the wheel moves, the tie rod is bad. How can I to tell which one is bad from the shaking?
I get someone to shake the wheel and I crawl under there and hold my hand on each tie rod. I can feel which one(s) are loose.

Also, when I chack one wheel, I have the opposite wheel on the ground so that it doesn't want to shake - makes it easier to find the loose tie rod ends................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts