Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a junkyard today to get a rack and pinion setup for a 2000 taurus 3.0 OHV and they told me that I need to find a tag under the car somewhere. Said it will say SPR-RV, SPR-VS, SPR-WR, SPR-WS, SPR-WV, or SPR-XE. He told me he can't tell me which one from my vin. I looked and cant find any tags anywhere I can see. I did some searching and it looks like it's for different rims on the car. Is there a way to tell which one I need? I would like to order the parts before tearing into it but right now my only option is to tear the rack out and look for this tag they are saying is somewhere and then have them get the part which takes a day.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I called a junkyard today to get a rack and pinion setup for a 2000 taurus 3.0 OHV and they told me that I need to find a tag under the car somewhere. Said it will say SPR-RV, SPR-VS, SPR-WR, SPR-WS, SPR-WV, or SPR-XE. He told me he can't tell me which one from my vin. I looked and cant find any tags anywhere I can see. I did some searching and it looks like it's for different rims on the car. Is there a way to tell which one I need? I would like to order the parts before tearing into it but right now my only option is to tear the rack out and look for this tag they are saying is somewhere and then have them get the part which takes a day.
Generally, it's a better idea to buy a new rack, this job is very complex and you really only want to do it/pay for it once.

What kind of rims did the car come with?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was my car I would but it's not and I will do the repair once and then charge a nice price if it fails and he wants me to change it again. The used parts place has complete racks for 45 bucks and lots of them to chose from. A new one is 3-4 times that. And even with new you still have to know the sub part number on this tag I don't see.

I will try to get a picture of the rims to see if I can narrow it down a little.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
If it was my car I would but it's not and I will do the repair once and then charge a nice price if it fails and he wants me to change it again. The used parts place has complete racks for 45 bucks and lots of them to chose from. A new one is 3-4 times that. And even with new you still have to know the sub part number on this tag I don't see.

I will try to get a picture of the rims to see if I can narrow it down a little.
It's on the housing, just after the boot. I think it's on the passenger side, but it might be on both or just the drivers side. I have the diagram of where it should be (nice to have mitchell, if you do repairs for money ;) ).

Part Description: 3.0L; 6.0x16"tires with 7-spoke aluminum, 5-spoke painted aluminum, 5-spoke machined aluminum and chromed wheels. ID: ""SPR-VS''; Reman
Part Description: 3.0L; 16" steel wheels SPR-WR, SPR-WV; Warranty Eligible
Part Description: 3.0L; 6.5x16"tires with cast aluminum wheels. ID: ""SPR-WS''; Warranty Eligible
Source: Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com
OE Part numbers:
YF1Z3504ABRM
YF1Z3504DARM
YF1Z3504EARM

That should give you an idea of what wheels correspond to what rack. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Generally, it's a better idea to buy a new rack, this job is very complex and you really only want to do it/pay for it once.

What kind of rims did the car come with?
I read previously in this forum that when inner tie rod goes bad, replace the whole rack, not just the tie rods. Do you agree with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Inner Tie rod

I read previously in this forum that when inner tie rod goes bad, replace the whole rack, not just the tie rods. Do you agree with it? Thanks.
I would replace the whole thing. One end gets loose, the other will soon follow. Fix them both, then the seals start leaking. Chaseing your tail on this one. IMHO

Inner tie rod ends are a pain to replace. Requires special socket to remove.

Just my take.

-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.