Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I plan on doing a rack replacement on a 2000 DOHC, so I purchased the teflon(plastic) o-rings for the power steering connections. Though I also found that Ford sells the connectors with the teflon seals already installed on them. I see these fittings have C-clips inside, and rubber o-rings as well which seems to mean the power steering hoses are basically push-connections on these cars.
Has anyone ever replaced these fittings without replacing the power steering hose? How do you remove the old fittings?

seal part numbers
-388898-S
-388897-S
connector part numbers:
F57Z 3R608 BA
F5TZ 3F656 A

i know there is a lot of information on installing the new teflon o-rings, though not much on the fittings themselves.
In the past, when I worked on the power steering system, leaks appeared at the connections, so I wanted to be prepared this time.
Thank You.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I can't really figure out how to remove the old fittings from the old power steering lines, seems they may have to be cut with a dremel, so I guess I will just be buying a new hose assembly. Strange thing is that the Ford hose for a 2000 is $250,though a hose for a 2002 is only about $100. Pumps and racks are basically the same. I assume it is OK to use a 2002 hose on a 2000.
Edit: seems the cheaper hose is for the Vulcans. Seems Ford discontinued the Duratec steering pressure hose.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hi, use Rock Auto to see if the parts are the same. Consider pulling the hose from a wreck car at LKQ or other parts yards.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will probably buy an aftermarket one, or an old stock Ford one. I am just wondering why they sell these fittings separately, yet I can't find a procedure to replace the fittings. The packet has a 2021 date code, so these are not old stock items, so I guess people are using them somehow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts