Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know how this occurred, but the only part missing is the mirror. The part that holds the mirror is still there, as I said the mirror is the only part missing.
Any idea where to get a mirror? I have check at the Napa which is the auto parts store in the area, that I can find. They said that they did not have the part.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,409 Posts
Go to your local junkyard and pull the mirror..best thing I can suggest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In 2002, same thing happened to my Windstar. One mirror cracked and fell off from ice scraping, and the other one just fell off. Bought a couple of 'close' fit mirrors at Pepboys, but they looked junky. Went to a place called LBC autoparts in Newport, Pa., and got them there. Weren't cheap, about $20 each. Ph--1-800-382-1322. Email was www.LBCautoparts.com , but I ordered over the phone.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any better?

How well do the new ones look compared to the other ones

In 2002, same thing happened to my Windstar. One mirror cracked and fell off from ice scraping, and the other one just fell off. Bought a couple of 'close' fit mirrors at Pepboys, but they looked junky. Went to a place called LBC autoparts in Newport, Pa., and got them there. Weren't cheap, about $20 each. Ph--1-800-382-1322. Email was www.LBCautoparts.com , but I ordered over the phone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The ones I bought from LBCautoparts were an exact fit and still look great 8 years later. I was very meticulous on cleaning all the stuff off the plate that the mirror attaches to, and can't remember if I used a special adhesive or what they sent me.

·
Registered
587 Posts
they sell adhesive backed at walmarts and meijers here in michigan. it is a plastic reflective mirror that you cut out and stick in there. it only cost 6 bucks just pull your other one apart and trace it. on the back so it fits the other one cut it back words and flip it around peel and stick and your done. do not cut it in the center of the plastic sheet just incase your first is fubar.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only thing I am afraid of happening is I mess up every time. I will take a look and see if they have that here tho.

they sell adhesive backed at walmarts and meijers here in michigan. it is a plastic reflective mirror that you cut out and stick in there. it only cost 6 bucks just pull your other one apart and trace it. on the back so it fits the other one cut it back words and flip it around peel and stick and your done. do not cut it in the center of the plastic sheet just incase your first is fubar.

·
Registered
23,480 Posts
Last resort would be a pick n pull to see if you can successfully pop the glass or source an entire unit with a color match.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Go to a local salvage yard, find a matching color, pull the door panel and the tweeters or tweeter cover off and underneath is 3 nuts that hold the mirror on, one wiring harness to plug and no need to worry about adhesives, the foam on the backside of the mirror will still be fine, just make sure you tighten the nuts all the way, ive replaced both of mine with heated mirrors off of a 96 from the salvage yard and they both are perfect, no leaks or worries and thats all i did.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,409 Posts
Go to a local salvage yard, find a matching color, pull the door panel and the tweeters or tweeter cover off and underneath is 3 nuts that hold the mirror on, one wiring harness to plug and no need to worry about adhesives, the foam on the backside of the mirror will still be fine, just make sure you tighten the nuts all the way, ive replaced both of mine with heated mirrors off of a 96 from the salvage yard and they both are perfect, no leaks or worries and thats all i did.
I've done the same...WAY less than getting new from an auto parts store. you can also upgrade to HEATED mirrors, too. All Taurus' have the heated mirror plugs.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it fix, best story ever on how i got it fixed.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
I was going to suggest just taking the car to a windshield shop. They'd probably be able to cut and mount a new mirror inside the mirror cavity (unless the backing plate that the mirror attaches to was damaged). IIRC, my ex-fiance had this done for me to fix the mirror on my '89 Colt, but since the mirror body had been taken off by a baseball bat, I couldn't use it. Had to buy a whole new mirror and re-mount it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced the side mirror on my Taurus. Easy as cake.

I just found a 3rd party online selling mirrors. I opened up the door panel and connected it to the mirror motor mechanism. Then bolted it on.

The reason I needed to replace it was Maaco originally did a horrible job after a side swipe. THey charged me $200 and the thing broke off when i accidentally hit it with a shopping cart. I opened up the door and it only had 1 of 2 bolts connected. That Maaco has since gone under, gee why?

I had to buy matching spray paint and gloss in addition to the mirror.

All in all I think it was just under $100 to do it myself. The paint was the biggest deal, around $40 to match my paint. The mirror itself was around $30-50.

Maaco was a GIANT RIPOFF. But that's typical with most shops, they seem to think their labor is EXTREE SPECIAL.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
89 plymouth colt? turbo? 4g63?
I wish. No, it's only the lowly 1.5 L engine. I bought it new in '89 for $5800, no radio, no A/C, 4-speed. Best car I've ever owned in terms of price and reliability. It went 250,000 miles with only one problem: the tranny started popping out of gear at around 160,000 miles (I drove it hard the first 6 years). I ended up swapping in a 5-speed from the boneyard and driving it another 90,000 miles, but then the computer blew up, the fuel pump failed, etc. and now it's a "project car". Eventually I'd like to get it running again and drive it back to New England where it hasn't been seen in 15+ years. I'd love to see the expression on people's faces when they'd say, "...you're STILL driving that '89 Plymouth Colt ????".

You know, in either 1990 or 1991, a Nissan dealer in MA had an '89 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo (black) that I test drove and almost bought. It had high mileage on it (60k+) but it was really fun to drive - plenty of power. Dealer was asking $7500. The obvious problem was it smoked something awful. Turned out the turbo was on the way out. Should've bought it anyway, but at the time my Colt was still very new and my experience fixing cars was still very limited. I would've had to pay someone to fix that, meaning the car would've probably cost me about $10,000 - which I thought was too much for a used car back then.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I wish. No, it's only the lowly 1.5 L engine. I bought it new in '89 for $5800, no radio, no A/C, 4-speed. Best car I've ever owned in terms of price and reliability. It went 250,000 miles with only one problem: the tranny started popping out of gear at around 160,000 miles (I drove it hard the first 6 years). I ended up swapping in a 5-speed from the boneyard and driving it another 90,000 miles, but then the computer blew up, the fuel pump failed, etc. and now it's a "project car". Eventually I'd like to get it running again and drive it back to New England where it hasn't been seen in 15+ years. I'd love to see the expression on people's faces when they'd say, "...you're STILL driving that '89 Plymouth Colt ????".

You know, in either 1990 or 1991, a Nissan dealer in MA had an '89 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo (black) that I test drove and almost bought. It had high mileage on it (60k+) but it was really fun to drive - plenty of power. Dealer was asking $7500. The obvious problem was it smoked something awful. Turned out the turbo was on the way out. Should've bought it anyway, but at the time my Colt was still very new and my experience fixing cars was still very limited. I would've had to pay someone to fix that, meaning the car would've probably cost me about $10,000 - which I thought was too much for a used car back then.
the colt was a great car. would be nice to drop in a shelby turbo out of a omni. the look on the vette owners face is priceless when they are beaten by a car length in the 1/4. B)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay I know we're supposed to be serious, but what the heck is it with Taurus's loosing their mirrors??? Everyone (including mine) it either falls off, or gets knocked off. I have yet to see one that is not missing, duct taped or rivited (mine) on did Ford put a target on them??

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
lmao.... i still have mine factory mounted . I think drive through car washes have something to do with it also along with some other things

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
Okay I know we're supposed to be serious, but what the heck is it with Taurus's loosing their mirrors??? Everyone (including mine) it either falls off, or gets knocked off. I have yet to see one that is not missing, duct taped or rivited (mine) on did Ford put a target on them??
OK, I have had 7 Taurus/Sables and never lost a mirror. I helped my daughter replace one when she got too close to a garage door, but that is going to happen to any car, and it wasn't my car.

Never ran one through auto car wash.

And in the North country, we do not wash cars in the winter months. Makes for self locking doors. :angry:

-chart-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts