Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

How To Remove The Tranny

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RWeaver 
#1 ·
Ok I have a friend who needs a tranny in his 1995 SE 3.0. Its the AX4N. The haynes manual says you need to remove the motor but if looks like it can be removed from under neath the vehicle. Can the tranny be removed with having to remove the motor ro do we have to pull the motor? Also how hard is this? If is too difficult were gonna junk the car. :unsure:

#3 ·
Well... You'll need to suspend the engine from something. I used a 4X4 accress both fenders, then attached a chain to the engine running over the 4X4. Then, with the bottom bolts off the motor mounts and the "dog-bone" transmission mount bolts out, I lifted the 4X4 at each end just enough to pull the chain tight and slide a small bolck of wood between the 4X4 and the inner fender ledges. That actually just lifted the engine about a half to one inch.

Then I dropped the sub-frame. With the transmission supported with a transmission lift and the car up on a lift, I could move the engine and tranny both away from each other just enough to lower the tranny out.

Before seperating them, you must remove the torque converter-to-flywheel bolts. You can get to them through the starter hole.

Good luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.