Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna change the alternator in my Vulcan, the pain is to get the belt off after which it is a breeze to get the alternator out.

But I have an aftermarket belt tensioner (something from carquest, changed about a yr back).

Now, Should I put a open ended wretch on the tensioners Idler pulley and turn it clockwise to reduce tension.? Finding a wrentch to fit that gap is probably the pain :blink: and of course there is aggin putting the belt back... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The aftermarket tensioner should be almost identical to the Ford part. It is spring-loaded. If you look at the bracket that mounts the tensioner to the engine block, there should be a 1/2" square hole in it. Insert a 1/2"-drive breaker bar or large ratchet wrench into the hole and pry on it so it loosens the tensioner (it swings the pulley away from the belt a bit.) You should be able to slip the belt off with your free hand.

Reinstalling the belt is easy too. Just pry on the tensioner again, and slip the belt back on the pulleys. Make sure the belt is seated right on all the pulleys, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought the easist way to remove a belt, any kind of belt for that matter, was to cut it with a razor blade (or a knife.) :lol2:

I'm lazy! Just two seconds and I'm working on replacing the alternator and only have to fool around with that tentioner (thingy) once. :banana:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I have a 2000 Vulcan and wish desperately that someone would go out and shoot a pic of the actual tensioner.

I've had a replacement belt for almost 2 months and can't figure it out. The belt is squeking like crazy too.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking of going to auto zone & geting the serpentine belt tool.

scooby, what motor is yours?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts