Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
What exactly do you want to know? It's pretty straight forward. Any good How-To site will get you what you want. (It's not very cost effective though to do it yourself if you ask me).

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with Izzmo. Most junkyards charge $75.00 to $100.00 up front for a windshield so if you break it taking it out, you bought it. You will then need a windsield install kit, about $40.00. If you shop around you can get a mobile installer to replace it in about an hour for $200.00.

Ed

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I just got a quote for $129 at the shop or $139 if they come out and replace my windshield. To me doing it yourself would not be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Izzmo. Most junkyards charge $75.00 to $100.00 up front for a windshield so if you break it taking it out, you bought it. You will then need a windsield install kit, about $40.00. If you shop around you can get a mobile installer to replace it in about an hour for $200.00.

Ed
i all ready have the replacement windshield. im going to get the windshield installation kit and call up one my friends and me and the old man are going to figure something out. cash is limited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly do you want to know? It's pretty straight forward. Any good How-To site will get you what you want. (It's not very cost effective though to do it yourself if you ask me).
what kind of gasket situation is it? prefabricated or does it come out of a tube?

whats the most cost effective way of windshield removal. DiY vids are crap, because they are a limited amount of them, and i have learned that each vehicle has different things. yeah.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In a tube, like RTV, only thicker and less forgiving. You also need to be sure to clean off the old adhesive completely. Get the windshield removal tools from Harbor Freight or similar.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree, pay a pro for this. They get the glass cheap, they already have the tools and adhesives, and there's no point in buying all the stuff just to do a windhshiel for yourself every 5 years. Plus you'll screw it up bad the first time and have leaks (trust me :p).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts