Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Taurus Duratec is leaking coolant at the hose connection to the top of the intake manifold area on the driver's side. The other end of this hose connects to the metal pipe from the water pump feed. The hose connection at the water pump pipe is accessible, but the manifold end is buried among a number of obstructions.

I thought of purchasing one of those remote-hose-clamp pliers, the kind with a block that you put over the prongs of the constant-tension clamp, and it has a cable that runs to the pliers part. It doesn't seem, though, there is even enough room in there for that block at the end of the cable.

I took vise grips, clicked them into the clamping position, open the jaws with the knurled knob, placed the jaws of the grips over the clamp prongs and then tightened the knurled knob. It helps to have a headlamp or other directed light to see what is going on. To drive the clamp fully open, I used pliers to turn the knob. Be careful about working in proximity to the battery -- either remove the negative terminal or cover the positive with a thick enough cloth.

The vise grips did the job -- you have to wiggle a bit, and you ,may have to unclamp them and repeat the above procedure as you work the hose clamp up the pipe connection.

Now what? How to I get the hose off at that end? There is no way to get a screwdriver in there to loosen the hose off the pipe -- are you supposed to do a major disassembly of the intake manifold and other parts? It is still not clear how to get access as the hose is shoved over the pipe connection flush with a flat surface. Is there enough room to wiggle in a coolant hose removal tool ("mechanic's pick")? Do you have to cut off the hose, but can you even get a knife blade in there?

Oh, one more thing. I got the hose off at the water-pump feed pipe end, but it appears the factory put the hose on sealant that has left a residue on the pipe connection? Do I have to scrape all that off before putting on the new hose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had to remove that hose on a couple Gen 4 Duratec's so I know the frustration you are experiencing. I can't remember if I removed just the throttle body or the entire upper intake for easier access but either way that only takes a few minutes and could save a lot of headaches. After all the years that hose has been on there you'll probably have to slice it with utility knife to get it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
96 Taurus Duratec is leaking coolant at the hose connection to the top of the intake manifold area on the driver's side. The other end of this hose connects to the metal pipe from the water pump feed. The hose connection at the water pump pipe is accessible, but the manifold end is buried among a number of obstructions.

I thought of purchasing one of those remote-hose-clamp pliers, the kind with a block that you put over the prongs of the constant-tension clamp, and it has a cable that runs to the pliers part. It doesn't seem, though, there is even enough room in there for that block at the end of the cable.

I took vise grips, clicked them into the clamping position, open the jaws with the knurled knob, placed the jaws of the grips over the clamp prongs and then tightened the knurled knob. It helps to have a headlamp or other directed light to see what is going on. You want to know what happens if you overcharge your car ac? Just visit AutoGuysLand to review Mike Cross' post. To drive the clamp fully open, I used pliers to turn the knob. Be careful about working in proximity to the battery -- either remove the negative terminal or cover the positive with a thick enough cloth.

The vise grips did the job -- you have to wiggle a bit, and you ,may have to unclamp them and repeat the above procedure as you work the hose clamp up the pipe connection.

Now what? How to I get the hose off at that end? There is no way to get a screwdriver in there to loosen the hose off the pipe -- are you supposed to do a major disassembly of the intake manifold and other parts? It is still not clear how to get access as the hose is shoved over the pipe connection flush with a flat surface. Is there enough room to wiggle in a coolant hose removal tool ("mechanic's pick")? Do you have to cut off the hose, but can you even get a knife blade in there?

Oh, one more thing. I got the hose off at the water-pump feed pipe end, but it appears the factory put the hose on sealant that has left a residue on the pipe connection? Do I have to scrape all that off before putting on the new hose?

Thanks!
You can refer this thread for your issue. Hopefully it can help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts