Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Buy a new dizzy, it's way easier and maybe cheaper.

You would need to drive the roll pin through the gear, remove the gear (pressed on), then try to get the shaft out without bending it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm dumbfounded by what I'm supposed to take apart to get at this little sensor! Is this whole piece in the pic what you're talking about replacing? What do I even call this thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the whole distributor (here).

In the pic, it doesn't have the long hex shaft coming out of the end. Is that possibly a visual omission, or would I need to re-use the part from mine?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
yes, the hex shaft stays with the car, it's what drives the OIL PUMP if it doesn't go in correctly you WILL not have oil pressure. If you can't understand how it comes apart, then I would recommend getting some one else to do it. But still, you don't really know that it's bad, do you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I have no proof that the PIP is bad. It looks horrible though, and the whole cavity under the dist cap is really dirty from the ancient rotor that I replaced recently.

What do you think of this tutorial for making sure: Ford Ignition Control Module (ICM) Test. Testing the PIP Signal (Part VI)

That and looking for a spark...

And yea, I'm not the most qualified service professional who could be working on my car. If I weren't still paying off my last trip to the mechanic I'd have done that :p
I definitely wish I'd asked here before it stopped running!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well, if the pip is black in color, then I'd just automatically replace, there was a major problem years ago with the black ones. If it's gray, then use the test as above, BUT don't pierce the wire, instead back probe the connector.

spark.......pull wire, remove plug, re-insert plug into wire, ground wire, crank over engine, either it will or will not have spark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts