Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the front and rear door sills attached?
Do I pry up from the outside or inside to release them?

How do I release the attached seat belt surround?
Do I pry from the front or back to release it?

Are there any clips that are prone to break or come out of shape when removing?

The driver's seat belt requires more effort than is should to pull it out when hooking it into its clip. I seriously suspect a good cleaning and lubrication will loosen it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Bob
2000 Sable Wagon

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have had those areas apart without breaking any clips but do not exactly remember where I had to pry. I think you can dig in without too much fear. Now the A Pillars are a whole different story.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I agree with Tom. I have had them off many times. The pillars come off easy also but I never figured how to free them from the seat belt. I have not found it easy to get the seat belt bolt cover and seat track bolt covers without breaking the clips.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The clips, attach to the body along the "outside" edge. I wasn't able to release the pillar trim. The lower pillar "appears" to pull down to separate it from the upper portion. I'll try again on the next warm day. I think it's a given that some plastic parts [lower seat belt covers] almost always break when removed.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I agree with Tom. I have had them off many times. The pillars come off easy also but I never figured how to free them from the seat belt. I have not found it easy to get the seat belt bolt cover and seat track bolt covers without breaking the clips.
I too have been mystified by that trim piece. As far as I can tell, you have to remove the headliner to actually free the clips from where the seat belt mounts. There doesn't seem to be any other way without breaking those clips.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to release the bottom panels and both lower and upper B pillar panels. Turn the lower seat belt retainer [cover over bolt 90 deg] to allow space for lower B pillar to slide down. Moving [wiggle wiggle] the lower B pillar down will release it from the top portion. The pillars don't have metal clips, just a compression fit. Without removing the seat belt torx bolts, I was able to use a cleaner spray and later a lube to drench the outer edges of the belt's wheel. Exercised many times to get the lube into the mechanism. In hindsight, I should have removed the belt retractor to better clean and lube.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
I bet using a hair dryer on the vinyl trim pieces would soften them enough to avoid snapping the attaching tabs that hold the upper door edge/upper B-pillar trim onto the sheet metal. Make sure you remove the screws first! Mine required removal of the shoulder belt anchor point, a T-50 bolt is all that needs to come out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Lgbpop
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing