Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(A followup to my previous thread: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/119...eels-tires/163618-08-09-alternate-grille.html)

Well I pulled the trigger on a lovely 2009 SEL. Great car except...I hate the grille and it has got to go!

Shall I say, the chrome-colored portion is what I want to remove, as I just learned now that it appears to be just a facade covering what might be a decent-looking black grille underneath.

I bought some sturdy black mesh and was preparing to make my new grille, but there's one small problem...I can't figure out how to get the stock grille off! Without breaking anything, gentle prying reveals that it appears that there are a bunch of little tabs holding the chrome portion of the grille to the black underskin. And the black part is held onto the bumper with some tabs along the bottom. Is that correct? I removed the nuts that I saw that looked like they were part of the way the chrome thing is held on, however it is not budging and not coming off. I don't want to break anything by forcing it, but I can't really see much behind it, nor get any tools in there to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lower your insurance deductable to the lowest allowed, and if it breaks,....then claim it. Afterall, that is why you pay for insurance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@TriadPhoenix - Did you ever figure this out? Replacing a headlight assembly on my 09 and I figure if the bumper is off I may give something a shot.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a body shop pull it and do the repaint professionally. I believe there is a series of a million little plastic tabs on the back that had to be disengaged...I did not have the patience!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've also got an '09 and the grill has got to go or be updated. Any luck with this? Can you send a few pics? My plan is to paint the "chromed" edges to the inside of the headlights the same silver as the body. I'll probably just plasti dip the edges and paint the dip incase I butcher the job or feel the need to revert.

I'm definitely open to other grill alternatives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive looked for grill alternatives but was not able to find any. i ended up spraying black plasi dip on mine. came out pretty cool, i also blacked out all the other chrome on the car, such as the fog light covers. i personally hate chrome though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up having a friend with a body shop remove the grille, as I could not figure out how to do it gently without breaking it. He color-matched the paint code from Ford and sprayed it to match the car. Came out excellent.

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
You actually have to break the tabs to remove it. Wonder how he put it back in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought paint and clear coat to match the car assuming I could pull the grill without too much hassle bad assumption- I can't even figure out how to remove the bumper cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry if this is a little late, but I just had that issue today, tried to remove my front bumper, so I Googled it and this thread came up. There are 3 screws just inside the edge of the wheel wells on either side. Remove those. There are 2 screws and 2 push pin plastic thingies under the hood holding the grille down, remove those too. There are a few screws on the underside of the bumper holding the black plastic air deflector shield piece in place, detach that piece as well. Now you simply pull by hand at the seam between the bumper and front fenders, the seam line that goes between the wheel well and headlight, there's like 3 plastic tabs on either side that need to be popped loose (they won't break if you're careful with it, just don't pull at it like you're pop-eye :p) next step is kinda cautuous, make sure you um plug your fog light wires before fully seperating the bumper away from the vehicle. You could do that before all the other steps just to be sure but I found the plugs were really easy to get to once you start pulling the bumper away a little bit at first.

And that's it, real easy peasy. I literally could do that in 5-10 minutes. Just reverse the steps to re-unstall it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts