Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After reading the posts, i decided to get a K&N panel air filter. I noticed that it's better to take off the air intake silencer, But i have no idea about what is it, and where is it? Do you have a picture? thanks.

G

·
yes it is the Same. Which hole are you talking about? The one in the fender well? If so, naw, just let it be.

Sal

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, it is, just blow the marking in red.

The day before yesterday when i took off the bumper cover for adding a tranny cooler, i noticed ther is still a curving air intake hose before the position of the silencer, right? So if i take off the silencer, the engine will take air from the 'hole' directlly and the hole which before it will be without effect?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
if u wanna take out your air intake silencer check the mods section
detailed instructions, no pics but this is really easy to do

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Thanks

But mine is the same as this picture, not the same as the picture of the the webpage which i linked. Should i remove the whole part in the picture or just the smaller piece?

forgot the picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
If you take a look on the driver's side fender, take the splash guards/fender lining off from under the fender. You will see a tube-like object protruding from somewhere in the fender area (near your air box) that extends out towards the headlights. You want to take this tube out. All the silencer does is make the ride quieter when accelerating. But if you're one for sounds, by all means - do it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, will it affect the gas mileage if i take off the saxophone? increase or decrease? I love the sound but i care about the gas mileage.

·
Registered
790 Posts
the whole thing....... that thick part is part of the resonator as well... i haven't noticed any gas mileage increase or decrease with mine removed... but it sure does sound nice when i stomp on the gas

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by ryanqzqz@Oct 24 2004, 10:40 PM
the whole thing....... that thick part is part of the resonator as well... i haven't noticed any gas mileage increase or decrease with mine removed... but it sure does sound nice when i stomp on the gas
So, for the GenIII, i have to cut it out, and can't install it back again? It's a whole part after the 'thick part'. Before the 'thick part ', it's easy to remove or reinstall.

·
Registered
790 Posts
there should be a joint at the top of the elbow if i remember correctly........ the elbow that goes thru the compartment side into the fender

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by ryanqzqz@Oct 24 2004, 11:07 PM
there should be a joint at the top of the elbow if i remember correctly........ the elbow that goes thru the compartment side into the fender
Thank you all, I think i have a idea(try take off from the marked in red), i'll remove it and keep it Reversible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
If you remove from the red all the way to the right, is that the intake silencer?....and can this be done on the 99 vulcan?

btw------I did a search on this before I posted something....yay!!!!! :banana: :notworthy:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pull EVERYTHING from the airbox joint(where the airbox meets the fenderwell)...step back 10 feet and THOW IT IN THE TRASH....not needed and makes a big difference in the ability to breathe

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
So, everything I've marked in blue I need to take off?....that right?.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
292 Posts
somebody took Brads class on how to use PAINT!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Do I need to put any type of filter in the hole after removing it, or will the air filter itself do fine?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally, i cut it out by the green line.
I removed the whole tubing from the airbox joint. But i found it's difficult to add a tubing to stick out the fenderwell. So i cut out the last short piece and puted it back.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts