Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned from this forum that Taurus/sable transmissions are prone to fluid overheating.

There is ATX fluid sensor inside the transmissin case, which is supposed to be connected
to the ECU (computer control unit), I believe. Does any guy know how to read the temperature
directly from this sensor, or from the ECU unit? so that we can know exactly what's going on
in the fluid before it is burnt.

If the fluid really gets burnt, is it going to ignite the 'check engine light' on the panel?
I'm pretty sure the failure of my last transmission is somewhat related to burnt fluid,
but the CEL was not ignited in that case.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
When the transmission fluid reaches a certain temperature, on your 04 it may say something like "Check Transmission" in the message center. Your owner's manual has a bunch of on-screen warning messages and should have one that matches up to what you're asking about.

I wonder if you are to go into "engineering mode" if it has the capability of displaying your vehicles transmission temperature?

There are a couple of other ways to read the fluid temperature. 1) Go buy a ScanGauge or 2) You can add your own click here

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I've messed around with the message center "Engineering Test Mode" a few times and haven't noticed anything clearly marked as transmission temperature, but there are quite a few fields that show up and aren't really labeled, such as "sensor $34" and crap like that.

I just installed a trans temp gauge in my car the other week and love having it. The hottest I have gotten my trans was a little over 180°, that was during very easy going around town driving on a warm day. I have a cooler I bought but I haven't installed it yet, maybe this weekend.

You can also buy a Scangauge and plug that into the OBD2 port and get the temperature and more from there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TFT sensor is enclosed inside the transmission case.

Do you need to open the case to get access to the output of the sensor?

QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 13 2009, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724786
The OD light will stat flashing if the fluid gets over 300F. You can connect a voltmeter to the TFT sensor output and interpret the data that way.

The TFT, IAT, and ECT all output the same values at the same temps.[/b]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean the OBDII reader?

I think it is used to read out the error code from the ECU.
If everything is all right, you won't be able to get any information from it.

QUOTE (93 Sable @ May 13 2009, 09:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724771
I've messed around with the message center "Engineering Test Mode" a few times and haven't noticed anything clearly marked as transmission temperature, but there are quite a few fields that show up and aren't really labeled, such as "sensor $34" and crap like that.

I just installed a trans temp gauge in my car the other week and love having it. The hottest I have gotten my trans was a little over 180°, that was during very easy going around town driving on a warm day. I have a cooler I bought but I haven't installed it yet, maybe this weekend.

You can also buy a Scangauge and plug that into the OBD2 port and get the temperature and more from there.[/b]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the message center? you mean the operation panel including speed, gas......?

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 12 2009, 05:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724633
When the transmission fluid reaches a certain temperature, on your 04 it may say something like "Check Transmission" in the message center. Your owner's manual has a bunch of on-screen warning messages and should have one that matches up to what you're asking about.

I wonder if you are to go into "engineering mode" if it has the capability of displaying your vehicles transmission temperature?

There are a couple of other ways to read the fluid temperature. 1) Go buy a ScanGauge or 2) You can add your own click here[/b]

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You can tap into the wire as it comes out of the tranny.

Should be the orange and black wire coming out of the connector that sticks straight up out of the top of the tranny under the intake hose.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (93 Sable @ May 13 2009, 09:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724771

You can also buy a Scangauge and plug that into the OBD2 port and get the temperature and more from there.[/b]

·
Registered
513 Posts
A fairly simple way to keep an eye on your ATF temp is to install a sensor in the ATF cooler line going to the cooler. I used parts from Ace hardware to make this little sensor manifold for my Isspro ATF gauge. If the gauge you use doesn't have 2 wires going to the sensor you will need to also run a ground wire to the manifold as some sensors are made to be screwed into something grounded (like the oil pan) and don't have the ground wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts