Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull my old EATC out of my 1990 Mercury Sable 3.8. How do I pull the trim surrounding it without ruining the dash? I know it is held with clips, but am having problems with pulling the upper part. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Does that not use DIN keys?

IT should be that you use the keys to remove the unit, then you can remove the trim, no?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would try to get out the parts that aren't held in with clips first, and then try to use a screwdriver to gently pry the stubborn parts next to the already loose parts. (Don't forget to take off the knee guard and to take the screws out from behind it and above the cluster.)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Nov 10 2009, 01:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=765917
QUOTE (thesavo @ Nov 9 2009, 06:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=765863
Does that not use DIN keys?

IT should be that you use the keys to remove the unit, then you can remove the trim, no?[/b]
No, it is bolted behind a bezel:

Dash bezel removal is similar to other '90/'91 Taurus:
http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/1...Cluster_Removal

Once that's out of the way, the bolts that hold the EATC in should become obvious.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I went to a wrecking yard yesterday just for practice pulling the bezel, going into it blind. I am new to this so I didn't want to destroy my own dash. I did notice the EATC is bolted in, but I have never seen screws like that before. Since I have just a few basic tools, do you have any idea what type of tool I need to remove these?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
krg15
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing