Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for your guys' opinions, and help on how much of the lightbar I should paint. I have a Silver Frost Taurus, and would be painting the light bar I will be recieveing Silver Frost to match. Now how much of it should I paint?

Paint it like..

-The SHO. (Anyones Silver Frost SHO for example, and anyone that may have a SHO lightbar or painted lightbar)

-All of it, but the reflector and reverse lights. (Could anyone Photoshop a pic? leaving everything but the reflectors and reverse lights painted.)

-All of it, including the reflectors but not the reverse lights. (Like Detroit Ravers Car, If anyone could photoshop that in Silver Frost)

I dont have any pictures of them but if anyone could post them that would be greatly appreciated along with your respective comments/opinions.

Also, how would I go about painting this light bar? What grit to use? How many coats? Leave dry how long? How many clear coats? What spray paint to use?

Thanks for any help you guys may be able to give me.

Nick Saturday

P.S. I may also consider painting, at a later date, the brownish color around the taillights (when I find/purchase another pair) to match if i chose to do #2, or #3. Same goes for the headlights where the light does not shine (when I find/purchase another set). So any opinions/info on that would be great aswell.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
i think i used a 200grit? can't remember. but i just took off the light bar and washed it. than i masked off the reverse lights with masking tape. lightly sanded it and than used a gray primer. i think i used the whole can of primer. a couple coats. than i lightly wetsanded it a little bit. than i used the spray paint to match my car and put tons of coats on. either a whole can or 2. i can't remember exactly. than clear coated a couple coats. just make sure you unmask the taped stuff and spray the clear coat over that also. i started at about 9am and it took all night because of waiting for it to dry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics and info, Kyle, Ashley, and Detroit Raver (I forgot your name
)

Nick Saturday

·
Registered
887 Posts
I know that Krylon has a spray paint specifically for plastic now. Maybe you could use that as a primer? (Or maybe someone makes a primer specifically for plastic that I just don't know about...)

I say this because I tried to paint a body-molded liscense plate holder for my aunt's car (it had been scraped up) and I had to keep re-doing it because none of the paint I used would adhere to the plastic properly. Since then, the bumper was totally trashed, (not her fault) and the whole thing has been replaced though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts