Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this Roadmaster in the parking lot at work today. I heard it coming up behind me with the cooling fans screaming away, and I turn around to see this:

It's a perfectly good Roadmaster, it's be a shame to see him ruin the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
'the hell?!?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
He either does that for his engine to warm up quickly or even stranger that car is used for hypermiling by closing off the aerodynamic drag of the grill...I'll guess it's the former.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Nobody would hypermile with a Roadmaster.

It's just a SBC... not like it's an engine than anyone cares about :lol2:

455 swap :twisted:

But in all seriousness, yes, he's probably deficient in the intelligence department.

·
Registered
276 Posts
He may be too lazy to repair his bad thermostat...

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Nobody would hypermile with a Roadmaster.

It's just a SBC... not like it's an engine than anyone cares about :lol2:

455 swap :twisted:

But in all seriousness, yes, he's probably deficient in the intelligence department.
[/b]
Depending on the year, it could be an LT1. I'd rip one of those suckers apart and build a twin-turbo LT1 Roadmaster with an Impala SS front clip, slam that effer to the ground, shove some huge meats on all 4 corners wrapped around 18 or 19 inch wheels and one hell of a sweet ass car!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Get a block heater or garage. I've seen people driving on flat tires on the interstate here, as well as filling up their radiators with water in the summer 100+ heat here-you won't get very far! A number of years ago when I lived up north I read about this guy that had his fuel lines freeze in his car, so what does he do? He blows himself up heating gasoline in a pot on the stove, he was going to "boil" gasoline to put in his gas tank!

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's a common tactic in northern climates, you put (usually) a piece of cardboard in front of your radiator when you first start driving (even with a block heater). Once the car warms up, your suppose to remove it and keep driving.....but this is from a climate where it has not gone below -15 in 2 weeks, and the average is -25 Celsius.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was cold when I took that pic, but not nearly cold enough that the engine would have difficulty warming up (this is New England, not Canada). Like I said, I could hear the cooling fans running full speed, the car was trying to run them for a reason. Also, he used so many zip ties on the thing, I think he plans on leaving it on there through the winter.

It's not a diesel, it's not going to take that long to heat up, even if it is really cold out. I've seen people use grill covers, but it blocked off part of the grill while leaving an opening. This leaves no opening whatsoever.

On another note. Look at the cigar he stuck between the corner of his license plate to "save it for later." I was waiting for someone walking between cars to bump into it without realizing and knock it onto the wet ground. Apparently, he didn't think of just leaving it in his car on the ash tray.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
i did that once on my diesel tempo

could not find a suitable thermostat only 140
and it was - 35 45 C

so oncle told me to put card bord in front to see if more heat and it did
but it was not permanent

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The tc stays unlocked when it's really cold to make it warm up faster, so doing that would not help it at all, except to overheat.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I know that. But the thing is, it won't lockup ... period ... if the temperature is below 20 degrees for 30+ miles. The extra cooler does not help in the winter.

It wastes gas. I drove it one summer with the thermostat stuck shut, I dont think taping off the bottom grille will hurt it too terrible much.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Why not just block off the trans cooler?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
hummm mine still lockup is this somethign on later year

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I actually own a '92 Buick Roadmaster (just rolled over 300K miles, had it since 180K) and there is almost a *foot* between the grill and the hugely oversized radiator. I would say with confidence that below 60F you could not overheat that engine with the grill blocked off like that (provided the engine is in a general state of good health). Also, the fan is not electric but it's a thermostatic fluid type, and when fully engaged well more than enough to keep the temps down. The SBC is a beast (although prior to '93 they only made 180HP and 300ft-lb of torque). I got up to 24 mpg on the road with mine, avg. city was 17-18.

Oustanding vehicle. Body on frame, air shocks, durable as all get-out, comfy. terrible seats, sight lines not very good, one-wheel-drive (unless you got the limited slip, quite rare), heavy and just-plain-big.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts