Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Jensen Power 5500 amplifier. This thing is huge. Roughly 21 by 9 inches. My plan is to put it in the trunk, but in such a way that it doesn't get fried by water dripping from a wet ski that's protruding from passenger compartment or by water spilled from a water jug, or rain water dripping from above when the trunk is open. I also hope it doesn't get crushed by anything I might put in the trunk. Given these concerns, what's the best way to mount this amplifier? I am thinking that it would be neat to put it on the left or right wheel wall, but how do I attach it there? It comes with four holes at the edge for mounting it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I would figure out a way to mount it hanging off of the underside of the rear package shelf/deck.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that is not a good idea, because the hot air from the heat sink will warm up the electronics inside the amp.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mounting amps upside down is a no-no

·
Registered
53 Posts
back seat........i mounted my amp to the back seat and it works fine

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just received my Jensen Power 5500 amplifier. This thing is huge. Roughly 21 by 9 inches. My plan is to put it in the trunk, but in such a way that it doesn't get fried by water dripping from a wet ski that's protruding from passenger compartment or by water spilled from a water jug, or rain water dripping from above when the trunk is open. I also hope it doesn't get crushed by anything I might put in the trunk. Given these concerns, what's the best way to mount this amplifier? I am thinking that it would be neat to put it on the left or right wheel wall, but how do I attach it there? It comes with four holes at the edge for mounting it.
Why didn't you think of this before you bought it or obtained it?, Would mounting it to a sub woofer do the trick for you?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why didn't you think of this before you bought it or obtained it?, Would mounting it to a sub woofer do the trick for you?
Most 5 channel amps seem pretty big. Others within my budget are still 18-19 inches long, but mine is just over the top. It's really like two amplifiers in one.

I heard mounting an amp to a subwoofer is not a good idea, because of vibration. Mounting it on the back of seat might not work because I want to fold seats and transport stuff. I could give up the left half's folding capability but that area is probably too small. I might build a cage for it myself. I will find a reasonably thick 22 by 10 inch wooden board and attach the amp to it with the screws. Next, I will bend thin tubes or other suitable material to make a series of arcs that attach to the sides of the board with screws and protect amplifier's top from rogue cargo. I will use a thick wire to secure one corner of the amp cage so that it can move freely, so I can rotate the amp 90 degrees to accommodate cargo, and yet not fly around the trunk when its empty.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
5 channel? Is this to power new speakers and a sub?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's right, the most obvious configuration is to power all 4 speakers, plus a sub. This is how I will use it. For now, I have four new Pioneer A6872-TS 3-way speakers, and will add a sub later on. Of course, this amp allows other configurations (e.g. 3 subs)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
X2 to mounting it to the backseat... i have two jensen amps mounted to the back of my backseat... one on the 60 side, one on the 40. (60/40 backseat). It came out nicely and all wiring can be ran under carpet in trunk and it looks really good when done.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Make a "shelf" suspend it from the package shelf, whala, no upside down amp. Won't get crushed, or dipped on from rain.

My plan is to put it in the trunk, but in such a way that it doesn't get fried by water dripping from a wet ski that's protruding from passenger compartment
Does this mean seat down, from trunk through rear window maybe? Either way, not a real good idea to mount it to the back of the seat, ya think?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would mount it vertically on one side of the trunk (custom fabrication of course) and put a plexiglass shield in place to keep it segregated from cargo.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Make a "shelf" suspend it from the package shelf, whala, no upside down amp. Won't get crushed, or dipped on from rain.

This.

I was going to mount mine this way in my Taurus. Probably going to do it in my Mazda too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts