Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/bea...NP/PNP11308.jpg
at the pick n pull a week or 2 ago. It has power lumbar button on the side, and has the plastic connector dongle hanging down under the seat. Is there any way I could cut that dongle off and connect it to something like a battery? If so, what kind of battery should I buy?

Thanks B)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC to 12VDC power converter will do the trick - you'd have to constantly charge a battery.
[/b]
Where might one purchase such a device? I see 12V DC to AC power converters listed on some websites, but no AC to 12VDC. At least I think I'm looking at the right thing on Google Images.

You could just hook up a car battery :D
[/b]
Haha, very funny. :p

·
Registered
799 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
AC to 12VDC power converter will do the trick - you'd have to constantly charge a battery.
[/b]
Where might one purchase such a device? I see 12V DC to AC power converters listed on some websites, but no AC to 12VDC. At least I think I'm looking at the right thing on Google Images.

You could just hook up a car battery :D
[/b]
Haha, very funny. :p
[/b][/quote]

Look for some power supplies for computer related stuff, cell phone or cordless phone chargers, etc. You know, the ones that are a black plastic square that plug into the wall? Their output voltages range widely, but as long as you're in the range of 10-18v you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, cool thanks Bob. I'll see if I can find something at home like this and see if it meets that 10-18V range.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I've got this variable output transformer (from the '70s of course) that I run car radios and CBs off of. It's variable voltage and I *think* that it puts out up to five amps.

I think you'd be able to get one from Radio Shack. I know I've seen newer ones than mine.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You could just cut off the tip of an old power adaptor (the kind that you plug into like a cordless phone base) that says 12 volts. Just make sure it has enough of an amp rating. That is what I did to make my CB radio work in my house.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've got this variable output transformer (from the '70s of course) that I run car radios and CBs off of. It's variable voltage and I *think* that it puts out up to five amps.

I think you'd be able to get one from Radio Shack. I know I've seen newer ones than mine.
[/b]
I have something like that too...I think mine was from Radio Shack. It's late '70s or early '80s, with a bunch of swappable plugs to fit different things and a switch to select the output. I bet you could wire something like that up to work.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I knew the amp rating for the power lumbar...but oh well. As long as one of those adapters don't allow me to catch myself, my room or the chair on fire, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I wish I knew the amp rating for the power lumbar...but oh well.
[/b]
I'd play it safe at 5A. Fuse in the car for it is 15, but thats got to take into account both seats.

Best thing is a computer power supply.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
A Doorbell Transformer will do it

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
You need to connect it to a battery and measure the current draw before getting any sort of PS. If the current draw is more than the PS can put out then it will not live long.

Probably better off with a small battery and a floating type trickle charger connected to keep it charged.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Or buy a Barcalounger

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or buy a Barcalounger

Mike
B)
[/b]
Ha, that would be nice. After this apartment, a recliner WILL be purchased. I love them for some reason.

Looks like I have quite a few choices...the PS one looks interesting, I'll have to think about it over xmas break. Same with the trickle charger, that'd be neat. Too bad the Sable chair has to stay at school for a month :(

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
But manual lumbar would mean fewer wires. Fewer wires always equals less fun! :lol2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts