Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

How To Make My Tranny Start Out In 2nd Gear?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  redtires 
#1 ·
Is there a way to trick the tranny to start out in 2nd gear instead of 1st?

I've heard of a car (or cars) that have this feature (called winter mode, I believe) to reduce the amount of torque to the drive wheels as an aid on slippery surfaces. It is evidently done with the mere flip of a switch.

Furthermore, is there a way to cause the upshifts to occur significantly earlier than normal (for the reason given above)?

My tranny is an AXOD-E. If the upshifts are controlled electrically/electronically, it seems to me that one could somehow manipulate them by splicing in a circuit that can be switched in or out as needed.

Regards... Mike

#2 ·
my grand prix has that feature
as for control of your tranny idk but i remember reading that someone on here had come up with a way to control the shifts of his auto i cant remember his name for some reason but he had that white wagon and i think he bought one of the silver g3 sho wagons

#3 ·
I would also like to know if this is possible with the AX4S. My transmission has issues shifting from 1st to second, and if i was able to just start out in second, i would have that slip BUMP between the gears.

#4 ·
sable23...

Are you pleased with how the system on your GP performs? Would you recommend such a feature to others?

imafordboi69...

I think your'e right... some of these trannys need any help we can give them! I would think that having the ability to eliminate an upshift might save some wear and tear, especially for those times when gentle acceleration is sufficient. For me, that is most of the time.

Regards... Mike

#5 ·
Here is a wiring diagram for G1/G2 trans wiring harness:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry681965

The member you're thinking of is jmoschetti45. He developed a very crude system to electronically control the trans. I believe the consensus was that it would destroy the trans if used or wired incorrectly.

BTW, you can't select to start in 2nd gear on the AX4S/AXOD-E, but you can select 2nd gear once the car is moving fast enough using the 1-D-1 trick.

#6 ·
honestly i donty even know on the gp it has been sitting since i bought it due to the tranny slipping

#8 ·
I'm kinda assuming you mean like when your starting on a slippery surface from a stop, yes? There is a trick you can do and it kinda mimics the low torque your wanting. If you hold the brake down, and lightly move into the accelerator, you will effectively work to keep the wheels from spinning. I learned it in an off-road school but I have used it very effectively with my cars. They called it "brake modulation"...fancy huh? ;) But hey, it works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.