Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure were to post this one.

Just have a few questions about properly launching my 93 SHO MTX.
I plan on doing the 1/4 mile this weekend and would like to drive my car home :p

What Rpm to launch, when is best to shift...etc
Car is Stock

OR should i just avoid the impending doom all together? haha
I would like to get a base for future mods

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
well... how well is the car maintained? and do you have AAA? usually there are trucks standing buy and last time i went in my boys ws6 it was like 97.3 miles back to the house and he was covered. (car is a 2001 i think, few bolts ons 90k, broke axle lauching at 2500 rpms)
';
i would be SUPER careful with a older car man if its not maintained, other than that ive never had an sho so i cant tell you whats best but just go practice in a parking lot. dont step off the clutch or anything but just find where the best power is low in the rpms by quick slipping the clutch thats what i did.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car has 106K miles. I would say its been taken car of. only 1 owner other than me so i know its not been beaten on.

Should be be building revs and dropping clutches as you would with any other car?
or take it slow off the line and but the power down with little wheel spin?

im not running slicks to i Shouldn't brake an axle. lol

when do these engines stop making power anyways? dont want to blow it at 8K Rpm haha

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I usually start around 2k and slip a little and then hammer it. It will depend on your tires.

Shift around 6.5k-7k to get the full power band.

So long that you don't do too many burn outs you should be fine as the diff pin can let go at any time from a burn out to high way cruising. The only way to fix it is by welding or Wavetrac.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay thanks for the info. lets hope she doesnt go!

what is the "Wavetrac"?

looks like ill be pulling the tranny apart before any heavy mods

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ehh, I tried.

I would minimize wheel spin at start if possible, then just pull through the gears as best you can. Building up rpms and dumping the clutch is real fast way of finding a weak spot in your drivetrain. I'd concentrate on nailing the motors power curve and shifting speed.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, been practicing a bit on my recently acquired 1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. Low power on the low end, but with practice and feathering the clutch, you can get very fast starts, with or without wheel spin. In the Turbocoupe, I start by building revs, then, easing out the clutch, as is starts to grab a little I add more throttle, the engine builds boost, and takes off. If I just build revs in that car, then pop the clutch, no boost is built and it just bogs down the engine. Your car will have much more low end and would be resistant to bogging down, but I think you should find a good spot and for power and then feather the clutch as you add more throttle, and you should get some pretty quick starts at the expense of the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Shorter sticky tires (225/50-16) will help. Avoid wheelspin if you can and if you shop around you may be able to find a used Quaife (torque biasing diff) for your MTX. Transmission parts like syncros and blocking rings are hard to find. Keep in mind that FWD has a disadvantage in which the weight transfers to the rear when launching.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts