Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'ld like to install a dual exhaust on a 98 SE with a vulcan. Is there sonmething i have to take care of. (Fuel line, brackets) Any advise for the exhaust and tail pipe. i like the SHO setup but is this easy to do on a non sho engine.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
cut a dual exhaust of a taurus before the y pipe, have your old muffler cut off and the new duals welded on. You will need one hangar on the pass side. The bolt hole is already there, and the fuel lines are already bent for a dual exhaust setup.

Brad

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
If you look at my car I have Quad exahust....really, one pipe lead from the engine then broke off into two....looks and sounds great to me.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Might wanna give this guy a try on ebay.
Link
I emailed him, and he can send the passenger side set up only and the y-pipe if thats all you need. Which i thought i'd give a try, and buy another flowmaster later. 50 bucks including shipping.
Once it comes in, ill have a look at it and maybe post pictures or two to conform it will work from people on here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here's a PM from Spridget about adding dual exhausts:

Hello,

My '99 SE came with single exhaust. To add duals was very simple. I got the back half of the dual exhaust from a junk yard. I chopped off the OEM mufflers and added MagnaFlows. I also needed the right side exhaust hanger which I aquired from the junkyard. I removed the original single exhaust and laid the rear split over it and cut the single where the dual would line up. I hung everything and then welded the two sections together. Clamps would have worked too.

The sound. I think initially I was not impressed with the sound of the exhaust. First of all, it was not what I was accustomed to hearing. Secondly, I had nothing to compare it with before hand to have an opinion. But after about 2 weeks the sound improved. Some mufflers need time to settle in, and that's what the MagnaFlows did. I'm actually quite happy with their tone now. I would recommend them with the warning, they may sound strange at first, but once they settle in they sound good. More tone, still relatively quiet, subdued, some cabin noise, muffled rumble at low RPM's.

Performance. The Magnaflows are a straight through design, no baffles, no chambers. They are essentially large resonators. Resonators are straight through with small louvres inside the inner bore and mesh (stainless or fibreglass) in the outer bore to cancel out the sound waves. Flowmasters are chambered, but have a popular sound. Borlas are straight through. I do not have any evidence to show a performance increase, but I believe the engine does feel easier to rev, especially in higher RPMs. Quasi dual exhaust is mostly for looks. It adds additional weight with very little performance increase, if any. True duals (which would require custom work) would be better, but hard to build for this car for several reasons. In my opinion, the best performance exhaust for a stock engine would be a custom mandrel bent 2.25" single exhaust with a straight through muffler. With engine upgrades, 2.5" and 3" for smaller turbos. Stock exhaust on 96-99's is 2". 2000+ 24valve engines use 2.25" and as far as I know, the 2000+ exhaust is a direct swap with the 96-99 models with the same engine.

trying searching in the performance forum for more info. Also check the Archives..... lots of good stuff in there

-luke

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for help. I find my SE a lil basic right now. Twin exhaust should help a lot. Less dificult that i tought (gaz line, brackets, etc.)

Ford really make good cars :D

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
This is a pic of how my exhaust was setup....hopefully this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
you can just go to any muffler shop and ask for a dual output her ein canada it 120 $ so it really easy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mooby : 120$ is real good. I'm from quebec and the only price i got til now is 300

I think the guy thought about the entire 'Y' with the two mufflers, bracket and labor. I'll try some others to see.

fordforce99

thank you very much for the pictures

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.