Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I bought a slightly used u-haul(curt) hitch from a local craigslist ad. I paid $40 with an adapter from 1.25 to 2 inch plus the wiring. Putting that little bugger in is a lot harder than the 1 hour novice time in the instructions. First of all , this not my first dance. I have put in 2-3 other hitches. What makes this one so hard is the bolts that have to slide inside the frame rails with the little handle and captive nuts you are given. The other problem i encountered are the 10mm bolts i tried to take out the wrong way and eventually cut one head off and had to use a vice grip to back the bolt out backwards. you remove them toward the bumper. do not try to take off the 18 mm side . it is welded in. The other problem is that lining everything up at 43 pounds and holding it in place while you get 2 bolts started. It was not fun. My floor jack held it up nicely ,but It still had to be adjusted. Taking the exhaust down is not too bad , but getting the nut indide the frame with the locking washer taped to it is very challenging .
Well , in an hour and a half I got it. It fits well under the car , which is how i wanted it. Nothing sticks out. I highly recommend this hitch for fit and finish . The receiver has to be one that curves upward for towing ,but i also received the adapter for a bike rack for the wife and I. below is a link to a hitch exactly like it. It will fit all Taurus ,sable and lots of continentals from 1986-2006. The wiring needs to be done ,but for me that is easy. Brown is running lights, left is yellow to green/red stripe, right turn is green to orange/blue stripe ,and white is ground. you ground to the body and the others are on the right hand side of the trunk. There is a video on u-tube of it being done. their wiring is a plug in type ,but i am splicing in mine. All in all it will be nice to tow my boat or take the bikes out .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSvCr8MByrI...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsS2Oq-CNAQ...feature=channel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-2007-F...2-/280415764885

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Those are some really well done videos. Easily see what they are talking about, they point it all out. Nice find. I wouldn't mind getting a hitch for my car so I don't have to take the bike apart every time I want to go to the park.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 20 2010, 01:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792467
Those are some really well done videos. Easily see what they are talking about, they point it all out. Nice find. I wouldn't mind getting a hitch for my car so I don't have to take the bike apart every time I want to go to the park.[/b]
They got bike racks you can strap to your trunk to hold 2-4 bikes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very timely post as I am looking to buy a hitch for my 05.

I'm looking for a local CL find, too, as I am a cheap bas....I mean frugal person.

Thanks for the vids.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Mar 21 2010, 03:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792607
Those are some really well done videos. Easily see what they are talking about, they point it all out. Nice find. I wouldn't mind getting a hitch for my car so I don't have to take the bike apart every time I want to go to the park.[/b]
[/b][/quote]
i have a trunk mounted bike rack ,that i bought last fall for $2 at a garage sale. I don't really like how you have to take it on and off. The hitch rack is one minute and not a lot of straps to mess with.
i have a boat that i can tow a lot cheaper with the car. My ranger with the 4.0 German sohc is pretty thirsty. I also have a 4x8 trailer for taking my pressure washer and paint sprayer on the road for relatives decks. I have had hitches on most of my vehicles for years. I also like the fact that when you get hit from behind especially at a light , it does not do as much damage to my car. It just wrecks the other car.
My hitch and all accessories with a bike rack will be under $100 . I might even weld my own bike rack from some 2" steel i have lying around and some spare trailer parts. It depends how cheaply i find a rack on craigslist. Right now they are about $50.
I am more and more impressed with the u-haul (curt) hitch. I was a draw tite man for years because the factory is 15 miles from here ,but this hitch is well hidden and built very well. It also fits all 1986-2006 taurus and older lincolns. Just what we need.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Billy Ruger @ Mar 21 2010, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792608
Very timely post as I am looking to buy a hitch for my 05.

I'm looking for a local CL find, too, as I am a cheap bas....I mean frugal person.

Thanks for the vids.[/b]
to hepl you out i am going to give you a free nationwide search engine for cl . the old one was craigspal free. it was slow ,but worked. the new one is here :

http://craiglook.com/

It is utterly addicting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s. I bet I am cheaper that u will ever be! I won a contest!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Putting a hitch on these cars is VERY time consuming and difficult. It is definitely worth paying to have someone else do it, (for example I had a UHAUL brand one, and you can take your car to a UHAUL place and they'll install it for you, for a fee)

We chose to do it ourselves, and it was horrible. I'm glad now though. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Sean T. @ Mar 23 2010, 12:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792930
Putting a hitch on these cars is VERY time consuming and difficult. It is definitely worth paying to have someone else do it, (for example I had a UHAUL brand one, and you can take your car to a UHAUL place and they'll install it for you, for a fee)

We chose to do it ourselves, and it was horrible. I'm glad now though. :)[/b]
i am not sure i could call it horrible. It was hard ,but no harder than the work I do every day as an industrial electrician. I could have made it much easier watching the video closer ,but I am the typical a-d-d electrician. no attention span. Hey ,I am cheap and saved $50 or so for installation.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Nice video :thumb: Very clear and a giant THANK YOU for having steady camerawork and good quality on YouTube! :lol2:

IIRC, technically those hooks in the rear were actually tie-downs for shipping the car from the factory when it was new, and for some reason I remember hearing somewhere that they were supposed to be removed as part of dealer prep. I might be making that up, though. My car has them too, and I see lots that still have them and lots that don't...it's pretty random.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Mar 21 2010, 03:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792607
[/b][/quote]

I am thinking about getting a Class I hitch. But after adding up the cost of the hitch and hitch carrier: it's like a $400 investment. I am going to check the salvage yards first. Vinces charges $16 for a chassis hitch.
I don't like the carriers that strap to the trunk lid. Too worried about warp-age.

Additional. I grabbed and excerpt from the 2003 owners manual . This should apply to all Gen IV.
the MAX weight we can tow is: 1750 LBS. I can;t see the need for anyone to have a Class II hitch, give them the fallacy that they can pull 3,000 LBS.
  • Under these conditions:
  • Duratec Engine
  • Sedan Body
  • No passenger weight
  • No stowage weight
I would be hardpressed to think any one should think about installing a class II hitch. Personally even with a 'tec, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a year later

I finally got around to installing the wiring because I have to get my kids from college. I have a 5x8 trailer that I can haul their junk home . This is mainly for a futon and carpet. No way am I over 1750 pounds.
I have only used the hitch for my bike carrier so far ,but for the $50 I have into it , it was worth it.
On my 03 the wiring colors were a little different than the video.

Brown is running lights on both harness and light harness
White is ground on light harness
green with blue stripe on mine was the harness left turn - hooks to green on trailer
orange with blue stripe is right turn on the harness and hooks to yellow on the trailer wiring
There was a body ground in the same area and I used a ring connector for the white wire connection from the trailer and put it under the screw for the 4 body grounds that were already there.

I used a pin type tester. Used the alligator clip on the body ground and tested each connection with the pin .
Total time under an hour.

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
I am thinking about getting a Class I hitch. But after adding up the cost of the hitch and hitch carrier: it's like a $400 investment. I am going to check the salvage yards first. Vinces charges $16 for a chassis hitch.
I don't like the carriers that strap to the trunk lid. Too worried about warp-age.

Additional. I grabbed and excerpt from the 2003 owners manual . This should apply to all Gen IV.
the MAX weight we can tow is: 1750 LBS. I can;t see the need for anyone to have a Class II hitch, give them the fallacy that they can pull 3,000 LBS.
  • Under these conditions:
  • Duratec Engine
  • Sedan Body
  • No passenger weight
  • No stowage weight
I would be hardpressed to think any one should think about installing a class II hitch. Personally even with a 'tec, I wouldn't.
God US tow ratings are low. 1750 is a joke for such a big car, and thats nearly twice what every current midsize sedan is rated for.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/02/the-great-american-anti-towing-conspiracy/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts