Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive removed the alternator but i cant get the place where the power steering pulley is to come off the block to get at the waterpump, and i have 3 bolts left on the pump that i cant get to because of this.

please help...

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I believe you have to take the alternator bracket off on the genII

A Haynes Manual is a pretty good investment too.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have already done this twice on my gen2 3.8. If it is the same as the 3.0 then the power steering pump doesn't need tp come off.
All of the bolts on my 3.8 were accessible while the ps pump was still attached. It was a pita though getting it out from around the four studs.
You just have to get the alt bracket out of the way along with the pulley for the water pump.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks rudedog, but how do i remove the alt. bracket?
it seems as though the two bolts that keep it attached are behind the power steering pump pulley

there are 3 bolts which are wicked hard to reach because i cant get this off.
one 8mm and one 13mm.
other than that im doing fine with the whole process.
the manual i bought does say to remove the alt. bracket but it only provides pictures from a 1988 taurus, nothing for a 90-95 and no instructions but to remove it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (rudedog @ Apr 16 2009, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718210
wow, it's been a month, any progress MikeG??[/b]
yeah man, i ended up gettin it done, took me about two days.
total time id say was like 13 hours. but that includes running back and forth to advance auto, coming on here, and dealing with annoying bolts.

i have to say, the vulcan in the gen2 is a pain in the balls to change the water pump on.
i take it if you could get the alt bracket off it wouldnt be so bad, but i couldnt figure a way to remove it.

shes running good now tho, all hoses and things are great, heats awesome, no problems whatsoever with the heating/cooling system.

Now my biggest issue is the a/c. it blows somewhat cold but nowhere near as cold as i'd need for the summer. so thats the next project.
after that, when i get a chance to get over to braintree mass i get to do all my rust repair at my cousins shop, and then ill do the headliner and itll be in great condition.
*** almost forgot i need to replace my egr tube too...

but yeah this install went alright. lol thanks rudedog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts