Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 293 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Yeah my friend had a gen 1 and he changed fluid for the first time at 160k. 90 Vulcan. Original trans. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Originally posted by Twilight@Apr 21 2005, 04:56 PM
Paul... your opinion on changing tranny fluid in my car? 120,000 miles, fluid likely not changed for a while as it's brown but I don't know how long...it had close to 100 on it when I bought it. Is it not gonna work when I change the fluid?
Well it sure isn't going to get any better.......

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just did this and it sure was as easy as people have said. Now I just have to clean up my garage floor because the hose moved while I was flushing.

Thanks for the how-to!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I haven't needed to change my fluid yet so I dont know if this applies, but a magnet in your pan never hurt anything. I had one in mine and it was great cause it let me know if there were any shavings (which there never were) and it caught some of the smaller stuff that I guess made it through the filter.

I would simply pull off any larger particles and then put it in my makefshift parts cleaner. (A 5ive gallon bucket 1 Gal Keroscene, 1 Gal Diesel, and about 1.5 Gal of WD-40 and Carb Cleaner.) Get a wire brush and clean it off in that stuff (mabye wear gloves.... :p) and put it back in.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Gen 3s have a magnet in them as original equipment. A Magnifine in line filter is also a good idea and easy to splice in. You can use the splice as the drain point before the AUX cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 97 Taurus G has NEVER had this done. The fluid doesnt really smell burnt, but it is darkish. I am creeping up on 116K miles, and all mechanic shops want me to sign a waiver that I will not hold them liable if my tranny stops working afterwards.... .whats the deal with that!? Is it really at that much of a risk to change it? Would I honestly be better off to leave it the way it is??? Mines not jumpy, not laggy, jerking, sluggish... nothing. I just wanna go ahead and do it before it becomes absolutely life or death necessary (and before it does get the burnt smell..... its just really darkish red colored). A little Prevenative Maintenance never hurt anyone, eh? ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by ArkiesPrincess@May 25 2005, 09:56 PM
My 97 Taurus G has NEVER had this done. The fluid doesnt really smell burnt, but it is darkish. I am creeping up on 116K miles, and all mechanic shops want me to sign a waiver that I will not hold them liable if my tranny stops working afterwards.... .whats the deal with that!? Is it really at that much of a risk to change it? Would I honestly be better off to leave it the way it is??? Mines not jumpy, not laggy, jerking, sluggish... nothing. I just wanna go ahead and do it before it becomes absolutely life or death necessary (and before it does get the burnt smell..... its just really darkish red colored). A little Prevenative Maintenance never hurt anyone, eh? ;)
Has it ever been flushed before?

·
Registered
177 Posts
umm 116k?wow thats a lot of shifts. I had a grandpa driven grand marquis with the AOD-E with burnt smellign tranny fluid....at 83K. I find it hard to believe that yours has NEVER been flushed. Or changed. It probably has been changed but not flushed.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Originally posted by tupacglock@May 26 2005, 08:52 PM
umm 116k?wow thats a lot of shifts. I had a grandpa driven grand marquis with the AOD-E with burnt smellign tranny fluid....at 83K. I find it hard to believe that yours has NEVER been flushed. Or changed. It probably has been changed but not flushed.
I don't see why you find that hard to believe. It definitely happens, and it's definitely not uncommon.

In any event, Twilight, flush it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by ArkiesPrincess@May 25 2005, 07:56 PM
I have seen it many times over workign for a fleet lease company. the car would go too long without the tranny service, and against our recomendations a driver would ok one and typically within a few moths the tranny would let loose.

kind of playing the odds.......

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I think I may try this with my dad when we put the transmission cooler in. I don't think paying more than 100 dollars for this is completely necessary

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
After doing this again for the 4th or 5th time a few more pointers.

DO NOT USE POWER TOOLS TO REMOVE OR INSTALL BOLTS.

If you strip a bolt use some Loctite thread restorer following directions. If the bolt is stripped too badly then use a 1/4 x 28 bolt not tapping it at all. Just clean out the threads with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner or your favorite solvent. Then screw the new 1/4' x 28 thread bolt in the hole. Go slowly and do not over tighten.

I also would recommend a drain plug install. Very easy and cheap. Tools needed are a 1/2" drill bit and drill, some files to clean up the hole and wrenches. You can get a tranny drain plug kit for under $5 at most auto parts stores. Very easy to do.

Do not mount the plug where it will interfere with anything or pointing down. Here is where I mounted mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your transmission is pointing the wrong way.....

lol I hate FWD :p

And just thought I would add, stripping tranny pan bolts does sucks and is EXTREMLY easy to do on just about any car. You can only use a butterfly gun to gett he on and of, otherwise you have to use a wrench.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Originally posted by Millermagic@May 28 2005, 09:59 PM
I was telling my dad about this and he is a little skepticle about turning it on without any fluid. Would that be bad for it?
For any length of time, yes, it could cause problems. You need to keep a close watch on the hose coming out of the transmission to make sure that when the fluid flow almost stops, you shut off the engine; the transmission will still stay well lubricated for several seconds after all the fluid is gone. I liken it to engine wear when starting your car every day when there is very little oil lubricating all the parts until the oil pump gets moving.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Originally posted by Millermagic@May 28 2005, 09:59 PM
I was telling my dad about this and he is a little skepticle about turning it on without any fluid. Would that be bad for it?
This is basically the same way it is described as the way to flush the tranny in the Ford manuals.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I had a problem with stripped tranny bolt holes a couple of years ago. I wasn't aware there was a problem at the time, so it kind of bit me in the ass when I was finishing up a filter change and about 8 of bolts wouldn't grab. I ended up towing it to a tranny shop, and they used heli-coils to fix the bolt holes. I guess they did a good job, because I just changed the filter again today, and everything appears to have went well.

Also thought I'd add this because I didn't see it in this thread. If you're only changing the fluid in the pan and your filter, you'll need about 8 quarts of ATF. I don't know why the Haynes manual says to pour in four quarts and then add as needed. I felt like a dumbass adding one quart at a time and then checking the level. Friggin took forever because each time you check the level you have run it through gears. Anyway, my fluid level finally started looking good at around 7 1/2 quarts, this was in a 97 duratec with the AX4N tranny.

·
Registered
669 Posts
mike, i had the same prob. I put about 5 or so in my 98 tec and then went for a drive. Well...it wasn't much of a drive. I made it down the driveway and then as i shifted into drive, the fun began. I felt like i was riding a bucking horse. The car would jerk forward. I stopped immediately and went back up the driveway. Of course, no fluid showed up on the dip stick. I got to about 7 or so when it showed up. I think I ended up putting in 8 or 9 with just a pan drop.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Same thing for me today, Mike. I changed the filter and added an auxiliary transmission cooler, and I had to add 9 quarts. I was lucky I had a ton of it left over from the last time I changed the filter.

My trans is shifting better, and feels great with the new trans cooler in! I can't believe that I waited this long to add one...I wish I'd have done it a long time ago.

JR

21 - 40 of 293 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
292 Replies
115 Participants
madscientist
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing