Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm having a friend do my transmission fluid/filter on Monday for $40 with me buying all the supplies. I'm at 175k and I have a nagging suspicion that I may be the first person to ever have anything done to the transmission, so he and I both agreed not to do a flush/power flush. I guess he's just gonna drop the pan + drain fluid. He said to pick up 8 qts.

Does that sound like enough?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks sheila. :)

One final question before I go and lay down cash: Will everything he's going to need come w/ the filter kit? Or do I need to buy some sort of gasket/seal stuff as well?

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
You're set with the filter kit and 8 qts. of mercon v atf. Have him reuse the oem reusable pan gasket with no sealant. Only other thing you may want to grab at wallyworld, etc., is 1 of those clear Sterilite under-the-bed storage containers unless 1 of you has an extra large drain pan. Less messy! To get the old filter seal out of the tranny, carefully pry first with a small screwdriver (v-it) and pull out (down) with needle-nose pliers. New filter seal should be pre-mounted on new filter. Prior insertion, slather seal with new atf. I use brake cleaner spray (couple cans) to clean pan, gasket, magnet, bolts, etc. and a roll of blue shop p. towels. Don't forget to imm. replace magnet after cleaning it and pan. I remove pan with 3/8" dr. ratchet, ext. and 8mm socket. I replace with 1/4" dr. ratchet or nutdriver to avoid overtightening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am gonna post this question in a couple places so hopefully I will get a good response. I just finished all my engine work on my 94 taurus gl and today I finished my brake lines. Tomorrow after I put the battery back in and the air filter assembly, I am gonna start her up for the first time in like a month to make sure all the engine work I did was correctly done. My next step is to do a transmission flush then a coolant flush. The coolant flush seems pretty easy. The only tough part is locating the correct heater line to cut and install the flushing tee. Since most of the lines are steel, I found a small section of hose thats on the passenger side of the car. Its the only hose that has a straight enough section to do it.

Anywho... I too am worried about the tranny flush. I have like 17 quarts of fluid out there and my filter/gasket kit, and a piece of 3/8 hose i got a couple months ago. Im slightly worried about some people saying that it can cause damage to your tranny by flushing it. my fluid is BLACK AS OIL. The odometer says 140,000 miles but it could very well be 240,000, since it turns over every 100,000. My concern is where to disconnect the lines? I have read the at home flush and fill topic over and over. i have googled many pictures of "aux atx cooler". I dont believe my car actually has a cooler. They look like small radiators right? I have a pattern of wavey lines in front of my radiator. I havnt really gotten under the tranny yet to really give it a good look as far as where the lines might be located. But does anyone have any pics that are both close ups of the lines to disconnect in order to pump the fluid out and also some pics of their location from a small distance so I can gauge where im supposed to be looking,, in general? There are a ton of lines and hoses down there. Again, its a 1994 ford taurus 3.0 vulcan engine. the tranny is an AXOD. The pan actually says "AXOD Metric" on it. I have done alot of work to it and the hard part just got done (replacing all brake lines) so I would hate to do this wrong. I am so close to being able to get back in her and drive her around. But I would really like to get this old fluid out. As for the power steering fluid, its also black. Mine calls for mercon V trans fluid, just like the tranny so I got this siphon pump from NAPA and im just gonna suck the old fluid from the reservoir and keep replacing the reservoir fluid as I turn the wheel from lock to lock until the fluid is clean. So basically im just stuck on the whole process of the tranny flush.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am ready to change the gasket and filter on my 2001 ford taurus OHV. I have already dropped the pan. the car has 115,000 and this is the first time the transmision oil will be changed. I noticed some sludge on the bottom of the pan and crud all over the magnet th overall oil color is red. The filter and gasket combo kit I purchased online ended up being a cork/rubber composition. My questiosn are as follows:

Can I reuse my originally OEM with no potential leakage issues? I hate to use the cork.

I need to purchase 7-8 qyts of Mercon V ATF - walmart??or automotive store.

What are the torque specification and I have seen a video that shows tightening and torqueing in a criss cross pattern.

Does it matter where the magnet sits in the pan?

I don't know if I m missing anything else.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
I reused my OEM rubber and metal gasket for the entire life of the car. Cork gaskets are a one time only deal.

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
^+1 on the original pan gasket. I use the Supertech mercon v atf from wallyworld ($$$). I use a 1/4"dr. ratchet, ext. and socket or nut driver in a crisscross pattern to avoid over-tightening. Actual pan torque spec. is 106 in-lbs. Magnet sits on a formed dimple. Use brake cleaner spray for cleaning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just BE careful not to accidentally remove the power steering line from the the front end! I got my lines mixed up a couple weeks back and drained all my powersteering. With air in the system, the PS then decided to spit out the remaining fluid. Luckily, I was just embarrased. My PS is a bit more noisy (although maybe now I'm just listenign for it) but I didn't do serious damage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The factory gasket is reusable and rubber so it appears because of the cork gasket yours had been changed at least once.

The only difference in the filters is the SHO has a longer gasket on the filter neck. The filters themselves are the same.
Yes the gasket that came with my filter was garbage. No metal screw holes, just straight rubber. It leaked IMMEDIATELY when i put it on; it didn't even want to try to do it's job. I put Indian head gasket goop on the old gasket for good measure and it's been OK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you TCCA! I successfully changed my transmission fluid, fluid filter, and cleaned the magnet in my 2002 Taurus's AX4N transmission.

The magnet was covered in what I can best describe as metallic grease. So it definitely needed a cleaning. The entire inside of the pan had a metallic film on it.

On the dip-stick the fluid looked red so I didn't think it would be too dirty. Boy was I wrong. It pumped out a solid black-red color. Now that new fluid is in, I can see it is more of a light red/pink color on a paper towel when measuring fluid level.

I also used someone else's advice to zip tie the drain hose to my bucket to avoid spilling.

I pumped 4 quarts out with the pan still attached, then 2.5 quarts came out with the pan. After the pan is installed again I followed directions to add a few quarts, pump a few quarts until clean fluid starts pumping out. This happened at 12 quarts pumped out for me. I re-attached the transmission line to the fluid cooler and added more fluid until my total added was 10 quarts. Then on level ground running in idle for a 10 or 15 minutes I added about a pint at a time until it was in the cross hatched area of the dip stick. When I was done, exactly 12 quarts came out and 12 went in.

I reused the gasket and no leaks.

I was nervous about accidentally disconnecting the power-steering line at the cooler. But it is easy to see which line runs back to the transmission from the driver side of the cooler. On my car the ATF-cooler was the one with metal fins, and was above the power-steering cooler. Also the atf cooler used 3/8" hose which is skinnier than the lines that the power-steering was using.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Flushed 05 today

Last Monday I bought my college bound daughter an 05 Taurus with what looks like a recently changed rebuilt transmission. I liked it so well I bought an 02 for myself later that day. After driving several miles the 05 started random bouts of hard 1-2 shifts. Since I had no history on the car I wondered if Mercon V had been put in the trans as so many people around here think it is the same as Dexron Mercon III.

The fluid looked dark during the flush and when I removed the pan I found the filter not connected to the trans as the previous filter ring had not been removed.:eek: When I put it all back together and cleaned the pan and magnet I knew for certain it was done properly. After 20 miles of test drive all is good so far. Shifts up and down are smooth and getting better as we drive. Thanks TCCA for the solid information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Flushed 02 Taurus today

My previous post indicated my recent purchase of an 05 SE and an 02 SE Taurus. Last week it was the 05, today I flushed the 02 and refilled with Mercon V. Fluid in this car was not very dark but I did not know the history and wanted a starting place. Trans is noticeably smooth compared to previous behavior which was not bad. I wonder if it is the Mercon or just fresh fluid........either way I am happy.:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
3. Next disconnect the line on the drivers side of the aux ATX cooler. Put the tranny side line in a five gallon bucket. Attach a piece of 3/8" hose to the cooler where you just disconnected the line and place it in the bucket.
A picture would help me greatly. I don't want to screw anything up. For step #3, can someone post up a picture of this aux cooler and maybe some nice red arrows so that I can visualize this better, and what hoses I need to fiddle with?

I have a 2000 Taurus SE sedan with the 3.0 Duratec.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would like to suggest a modification to step 6 of the procedure, as I just completed the flush and filter change today. The passenger side of the transmission pan is much narrower (AX4N) on that end. Upon noticing this, I removed all of the bolts with the exception of two on the driver side (just opposite of that stated in the procedure). Then, when loosening those two remaining bolts, the narrower end drops down and there is much less spillage to try to collect as the fluid runs out of the pan. I have done it the other way once before and it is much easier to catch the draining fluid this way. Just sayn, and hope this helps out.

261 - 280 of 293 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
292 Replies
115 Participants
madscientist
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing