Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
got some good information

Filtran is manufacturing filters for Ford. I spoke to their customer service today. Technical Questions:
(847) 635 3833
They make 2 filters for gen 4. The ft130 is the American version and the F278 is Chinese. Both the filters are made to the same specifications because Filtran bought a plant in China and makes their own. They are not outsourcing to a third party. I had a price for the filter of $6.95 from a Michigan distributor named Gordon Automotive. They also carry a complete line of transmission parts both hard and soft for all transmissions. They were very knowledgeable and nice. I hope this helps someone.

1-800-589-8868 since 1946.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about the rumors that this could be bad for your car?
Not to worry. This procedure is essentially the same as that described in the 2004 Ford factory shop manual. Cars used to have drain plugs on the torque converter. That's very rare these days. This procedure helps remove the large amount of fluid left in the converter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I finally got mine flushed

After a few errors , I finally got mine done. It really is not bad to do.
The best investment you can make is a little pump to take a bunch of fluid out of the pan before you drop it. I had a Johnson/Evinrude lower unit pump
Part number 401-11245-1 which is perfect when you buy a 3 foot piece of 3/8 o.d. plumbing plastic tubing to drop down the trans fill tube and suck out 3 quarts. That way ,when you lower the pan ,it is almost empty. It is also good for drain and fills of power steering fluids and other transmissions without spilling a drop. Here are some pictures of the operation. The transmission cooler on a generation 4 of my 3003 taurus is on the drivers side. You have to drop the plastic shield which is 7 screws and the upper hose is the inlet. I used a 3/8 i.d. hose from the soap injector off my pressure washer and a small hose clamp. This is the hose that the pump will push fluid through . The hose you disconnected will suck up new fluid if you choose to do it this way. I did not. I pumped fluid out and used a long neck funnel to pour new fluid back in. On the one photo of the pan , you can see the grey matter that came off the magnet. I think that is clutch material.
Here are some pictures to help.

By double1trouble1 at 2011-05-02

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUestion, i have a 93 GL with the 3.0 vulcan anyway i recently flushed out my tranny fluid and replaced it as well as a filter, when im driving sometimes only when im trying to accelerate i feel it pulling back, if i take my foot off the gas, and try again its usually fine and when crusing im fine too ,its only when im trying to accel, is this normal or does it sound like i am going to need a tranny very soon?

·
Registered
172 Posts
hard to say

I have a question or 3. How many miles on the transmission? What did the old fluid look like? Was the trans pulling back before you flushed it? Did you use a mild trans cleaner like B-g flush? What brand trans fluid did you use ?
I must say that in my case of needing mercon v, I used amsoil trans fluid. What a huge difference. It shifts better than ever. I am not normally an amsoil fan because of the cost ,but in this case the price was right and the product worked beautifully. I also like it for power steering pumps.It quiets them and makes them stop shuddering in cold weather.
BG Products, Inc.

BG Quick Clean for Automatic Transmissions BG Quick Clean for Automatic Transmissions is a safe and effective solvent/dispersant cleaner that will quickly remove accumulated deposits from the valve body, filter screen and other automatic transmission components. This product is designed for use in the BG Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System. Part No. 106 11 oz. (325 mL) can

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an ax0d tranny (ax4s) and took out the pan, amd filter and put i. A new filter and cleaned the pan.

From the look of my reddish brown murky tranny fluid and metallic gunk on the magnet im thinking the trannys never been flushed and the cars at 79k

So everyrhings back together and I want to flush the whole system... So to my understanding I should fill the pan from the dipstick then disconnect some line, then turn on the car and allow it to drain, turning off the car and filling the tranny pan as needed. And contnue until fluid coming out of the hose becomes nice and new looking.

Now where is this hose at to drain? I took out my battery and box and I see two metal hoses on the drivers side under the battery. One going to the powersteering tank the other going idk where... Is one of these my hose?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Still havent found the hose. i really dont want to remove the plastic guard under the radiator unless I must. Hopefully once I find the line ill be able to drain the torque converter and get done.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Pull off the plastic guard, it takes about 5 minutes after you do it a few times, and there's a lot of service procedures that you do it for, not just tranny fluid. Get used to it, it's easy. I've gotten to where I pull the whole bumper cover off for trans fluid service, I can clean (wash out road salt) and PM a lot of things at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 07 SEL with 74k on it i have had it 10 month so I am not sure if the trans fluid has ever been changed, I called the dealer and they told me it doesnt get a filter change just a flush out and new fluid, what I am wondering is this the best way to do this and does it really not need a filter change? I dont mind what the cost is but I want it done right, any thoughts from you good people? thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
For those who like to be anal about their work, when pumping out the old fluid, run the shifter through all the detents, pausing at each position. This will get the old fluid out of the fluid circuits. Every time I do this, I can see a shot of dark fluid run through the clear hose. Make sure you have your foot on the brake while doing this.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm gonna eventually do this tranny service as well. 143K on my AX4N. sometimes it seems to shift a little hard, so maybe this is a well-needed service to do for it

·
Registered
271 Posts
It certainly shouldn't hurt.
For every ones information: Super Tech Mercon V is not synthetic as stated on the bottle. Still works fine though, I used it in my '07 F-150. NAPA Mercon V is made by Valvoline and is at least part if not full synthetic. I have used it in my Windstar with good results.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not using anything BUT what we use at work. either Motorcraft Mercon or a company called Daytona Car Care Products that supplies fluid additives and has a trans fluid kit. but I think we have a trans service kit that includes a filter, fluid and gasket

·
Registered
8 Posts
Changed out my trans and filter on my '04 SEL yesterday. All went well, except I overfilled it to put the fluid in slowly. The car only has 39,800 miles but I like to keep my maintenance up. Worked very well, thank to all who took the time to post the instructions. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Which one is transmission oil cooler?

Can anyone tell me which one of these 2 coolers is the transmission oil cooler and which one is the power steering cooler?
Transcooler.jpg

This is a 2001 gen 4 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 v6 duratec engine and AX4N transmission.

Thanks in advance!

241 - 260 of 293 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
292 Replies
115 Participants
madscientist
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing