Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of background static noise in the radio. How do I fix this. I tried unscrewing and re screwing the antenna. Will sanding the surface of the antenna help? What can I do?

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
What year car? Assuming it is a G3 or G4, have you checked the antenna connection at the RCU? Have you ohmed out the circuit from the antenna to the RCU?

Sanding the antenna will do exactly nothing.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Is the static on all the stations? Expect the weaker & distance stations (especially those on AM) to suffer from some static. Also know that nearby radio transmitters in your area can interfere with other stations if you are close enough to them, and that weather conditions can also cause stations from another city/market to travel farther, creating interference with local ones.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the static on all the stations? Expect the weaker & distance stations (especially those on AM) to suffer from some static. Also know that nearby radio transmitters in your area can interfere with other stations if you are close enough to them, and that weather conditions can also cause stations from another city/market to travel farther, creating interference with local ones.
some are indeed better than others, seems like it should be better even still.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Radios age out

There is a lot of background static noise in the radio. How do I fix this. I tried unscrewing and re screwing the antenna. Will sanding the surface of the antenna help? What can I do?
Is the static on the AM or FM stations? If it's on both AM and FM it could be a loose connection. If it's on AM only chances are your radio is aging out. Radios do age and when they do they lose sensitivity and they don't hold the stations very well. You then need to turn up the volume to make up for the lack of sensitivity, which multiplies any other extraneous noise. Have you noticed you hear fewer station? Is it harder to tune to the ones you want?

If you enjoy your radio and want it to work well, consider replacing it. I replaced the radio that was going deaf in my 2000 Taurus SE with a middle-of-the-road Kenwood unit from Crutchfield and an installation kit that was specifically made to fit into the dash. It was not expensive and it works really well. The installation instructions were good and I had no problem installing it myself.

Well, actually, I did have a problem, later. When I was replacing the wiring harness that runs above the pedals I didn't fasten it securely enough and it dropped into the brake pedal sensor and pedal mechanism, damaged the sensor, and ripped the wires. I had to order a replacement harness and replace the sensor. But that was my fault, not Kenwood's or Crutchfield's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts