Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my heater core, unfortunately in the process of taking off I broke not one, but two plastic parts that hold each end of metal link (old plastic in subzero temperatures). I did rig the broken upper piece of plastic (I guess it controls hot and cold air) in the top position, so I could get heat. What's bottom piece is for?

Is it possible to remove the rest of the plastic from the top pivot shaft on which it sits (perhaps by pulling it off?) to put a new one, without taking dash off and taking apart whole assembly? For the bottom I could depress the tab to take it off.

·
Registered
23,632 Posts
Theres an old past thread on here about someone repairing some plastic parts with epoxy down near the core access door. Might do a search. Also google: macs-airsept and scroll down to the heater core tutorial and see if thats a help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, sheila! I'm talking about what's shown in Figure 13 in the article 'macs-airsept' .

I wish I knew to press down a tab in order to remove plastic pivots in order to remove metal link. So, from reading that 'macs-airsept' I understand how to remove broken bottom plastic (marked #2 at the Figure 13 on the left picture) by depressing the tab. But how can I remove broken top plastic piece? I'm talking about piece in Figure 13 (right picture) named 'Plastic Pivot Shaft' that holds top part of metal link.

Also, since I have broken both pieces, I have jammed top 'Plastic Pivot Shaft' in the top (open) position, but for some reason even with brand new heater core, I still got no heat(((.

·
Registered
23,632 Posts
Might google: heater treater. They may have a fix or answer for you. Did you ever do a search here? I remember someone doing an epoxy related repair to some plastic linkage parts broken during the course of a heater core r&r.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again.

Today I've played a bit with broken plastic parts and managed to get some heat. However air is just a bit warm, I'd say almost the same level as I was getting with the old core. Could it be thermostat? When I drive on the highway temperature needle drops to the lower 1/4 of the range, even with fully warmed up engine. But in the city it stays right in the middle. I should also mention that we're experiencing extremely low temperatures and strong winds.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If you changed your core and heat is still an issue, I would definitely change the 'stat. Usually I do a 'stat any time I'm doing the core, since the water jacket has to be drained to do either.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed the thermostat to Fail Safe, but 192F instead of 197F. I can fill hoses to the core being hot. Went to the junk yard, removed from the donor Bull bottom plastic piece for the pivot shaft that I broke on my car, but could not remove top piece (for the blender door). Any idea how to do it without taking dash off? Or what kind of glue to use on it? (I've tried searching 'Blender door repair' with no luck).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts