Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I read somewhere to drill a hole and drain the oil. My concerns are:

1. The oil is under pressure, will it be dangerous or at least messy to drill a hole?
2. How do I recycle the oil?
3. How do I recycle the drained struts assembly?

Your help is highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I've taken dozens of them to the scrap metal recycler. I've never drilled a hole or drained the oil. The recycler considers them as tin and pays the current rate per pound. A salvage yard might take them off your hands, but they will just turn around and sell them to the recycler.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I take em to my local Tire and suspension shop... they take em and dispose of them correctly.

QUOTE (JATO @ May 31 2010, 02:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808032
Find a dumpster in a dark, secluded area and toss them in under the cover of night.[/b]
You make it sound like Struts and shocks are hazmat....

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You could throw them in the Pile of old metal I have on the back of my property. I have a guy come pick it all up about every 4 or 7 years.

No one can see it, so my place doesn't look like a bunch of refugees live here.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (mwt @ May 31 2010, 03:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808135
You could throw them in the Pile of old metal I have on the back of my property. I have a guy come pick it all up about every 4 or 7 years.

No one can see it, so my place doesn't look like a bunch of refugees live here.

Mike
B)[/b]
I would definitely do that, but it's a little too far from where I live. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Living on the edge, I took a 1/8 bit in a air drill and put on the safety googles and drilled one once. Wasn't all that bad and the cool thig is this: The piston can then be cut out of the cylinder and that makes a nifty punch or piece to fab "what ever " out of ! I also am dubbing with one (piston and nut) trying to fab a tool to tighten the nut and hold the stud for my next job.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I put mine out at the curb with my trash, and the scrap metal junker people that drive around in those really shady trucks came and grabbed them like an hour after I put them out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah i took mine to a scrap yard with alot of other old metal parts, keep the leftovers from other cars i work on, they gave me a couple bucks for them

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 31 2010, 04:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808040
I take em to my local Tire and suspension shop... they take em and dispose of them correctly.

Find a dumpster in a dark, secluded area and toss them in under the cover of night.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

It's oil in there, don't throw em in the trash. Last time I checked with the Deepwater Horizon crew, oil is a hazardous material, in more ways than one...
thought you Southeast Chapter guys knew that by now...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (drh1957 @ Jun 6 2010, 04:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809896
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 31 2010, 04:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808040

[/b][/quote]

It's oil in there, don't throw em in the trash. Last time I checked with the Deepwater Horizon crew, oil is a hazardous material, in more ways than one...
thought you Southeast Chapter guys knew that by now...
[/b][/quote]

I knew THAT. I take mine to be disposed of at the city auto garage.. I was joking that he made it sound like it was contraband.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts