Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98' DURATEC with the secondary valves. Removed the upper and lower intakes and can easily clean the butterfly's on the lower intake, BUT is there a way that I can clean the actual intake "VALVE" and port? With the lower intake off the intake valves can be seen sitting just inside the port and are accessible. My question is, can I spray carb cleaner into the port and around the valve or will this harm the engine when I start it up? I can't think of any other way to get them clean and they are really carbed up. The main valves and ports are sparkling clean thanks to running injector cleaner every 3,000. Anyone done this before?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
When I cleaned my secondaries, I neglected to clean the secondary intakes. I did not want all the gunk washing into the cylinders.

My suggestion is do the best you can and try to keep as much of the nasty stuff from falling into the cylinder as you can. It should not hurt the engine if some makes it way ino the cumbustion chamber, and it will burn off within a few miles of driving.

All that buildup forming inside the lower intake is a drawback to the intakes design. It would be cool if the intake had a second set of injector that fired directly into the secondaries when they opened, and cut the flow to the primaries by half..... That way the secondary intakes on the head could get some cleaning.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You can't remove the lower part of the intake to clean it without getting crap in the cylinders? I would think that if you were careful enough and didn't shove anything into the lower intake, you'd be able to remove it and clean it outside of the car without banging anything off.

JR

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as I posted, I have removed the lower intake and yes, I can clean it very easily now but I was refering to cleaning the actual "valve" that is inside the engine that is visible now that the lower intake has been removed. Thanks Spridget for the helpful advice. I agree, I don't want to flush that gunk into the combustion chamber so I'll just try and hand wipe them out with some carb cleaner. Hmmm, wonder if I can use the old "hoover" to suck any leftover debris out of the port??? Should be interesting to see ;)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would think that a hoover would be a bad choice...get a big ass shop vac. You should be able to suck up any gunk that's just sitting there, but is suspect it will be caked on.

I can't wait until my gf's dad gets his hosue done...I have like four projects, this included, that I want to do with him...I just don't have the place to do it right now.

JR

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, yup, shop vac would be the way to go!! I understand about having the proper place to work. I live in an apartment complex and have to use the parking area. Luckily management has turned their heads and haven't said anything to me, but everyone wants to stop and look and strike up long winded conversations which adds to my work time. A quiet place under a shade tree would be nice. Good luck with your projects.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Thanks...

Upcoming projects:
Dual Flowmasters
Trans Cooler
Trans flush and fill with filter change
Coolant flush and fill
Change spark plugs
Replace plug wires
Clean upper and lower intake manifold