Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I think my 2006 taurus se fuel system maybe dirty. I hope someone could recommend a general kind of fuel system cleaner, since I am not sure what exactly where got dirty. Or what kind of cleaner I could not use?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Start with -

DON'T DO IT!

then, change your fuel filter for a few dollars.

Fuel injector cleaner in the tank is a huge scam. Best you can hope for is nothing, worst is it may dislodge stuff in your tank which WILL clog your fuel filter.
It will make your car run worse until it runs out of the tank and won't do a thing to clean your injectors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It cost me about $15 to get the fuel filter changed on a 2007 Taurus in Louisiana. I would get the filter changed and make sure I then used quality gasoline.

SUP

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did run a Red Line SI-1 and did fuel filter change after a while. Use gas from well known companies (they use more cleaning additives) and try to avoid gas from unknown brands. Also you might wanna try Seafoam.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
^+1. Quality fuel is really all you need, but if i have more money than sense, plenty of beer and chevron techron happens to be on sale (bogo) ill pop.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I paid a ridiculously high price (IMHO) at a Quick Lane at a local Ford dealership for fuel system cleaning. They recommend doing it every 30,000 miles. They say that they disconnect some fuel lines and run some strong solution through the injectors and other motor parts. This is probably the best way to clean injectors. The car seems to run slightly better. During the last two fill ups (the only after that service) it seems like the car started getting 1mpg more than it used to (of course, this may not be statistically significant, or I just was using less AC this time of year). The price was $159 and this was a special for me because I told that this is the price I heard before and won't pay any more (they agreed).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts